Views
Helpful
Replies

CCM 4.1(3) development using JTAPI - Caller ID

bjorn1011
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I am a newbee regarding development of CCM-integrated applications. My task is to write an application that is triggered by an outgoing call to a specified (configurable) number, and this application performs the function of recording the Caller ID (phonenumber) of the outgoing call. I have done this on other platforms such as Alcatel and Nortel, by analyzing CDR-on-the-fly. After having looked into the CCM documentation, there seems to be an easy and elegant solution, if I have understood this correct, by utilizing the JTAPI provided by CCM. My questions are regarding how to start this development and how to dowload the required tools.

1) How do I obtain the SDK - do I need some kind of Cisco certification?

2) Is there a CCM 4.1(3) simulator available to test my application?

I appreciate any feedback on this!

Regards

Bjorn

5 Replies 5

ckatene
Level 3
Level 3

cisco jtapi - elegant and easy? don't think so :-) functionally it will do what you want - but jtapi has loading implications that may prevent you from being able to do this on a large number of phones. a place to start is with the documentation http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_programming_usage_guide_book09186a00806b7dc1.html

the CDR analysis method would be a more scalable solution, although with 413 you'll have to find a way to get the CDRs off the box.

if you're migrating to 5+ soon the CDRs get pushed via FTP in (almost) real time, so that would be even better!

good luck ...

Thanks for your reply.

The solution must scale to hundreds of phones, so scalability is certainly and issue. But I need a real-time, or close to real-time monitoring of outgoing calls. It might be possible to poll a CDR-database each second, but I'm not comfortable with this approach. Upgrading to 5+ is unfortunatly not an option is my case. Is the load of a JTAPI solution proporsional with the number of phones attached to CCM or to the number of "active" phones participating in c

msabir
Level 4
Level 4

1) You do not need Cisco certification to obtain SDK.

2) There is CallManager Simulator available, but it does not suppport JTAPI. It is good enough to develop XML application (front end on the phone).

You can easily do, what you described, using JTAPI. We are writing an application which will monitor phones and when it makes a 911 call (or another configurable number, i.e 9911, 011..., etc.), it will send out an email and/or a text message to IP phone group(s), with the information about who called what number and what time.

Thanks for your reply. I guess I will not need the simulator if there is no support for the JTAPI. To test the solution, a CCM-installation will be required.

Is it possible to create one observer object that monitors all outgoing calls from CCM and triggers my application when the configurable number is dialled or is this more cumbersome. It seems that my application contains pretty much the same functionality that the one you are writing on the triggering part.

Do you have a link to the SDK or an address where I can order a CD?

SDK is supposed to be on Cisco's site, but it took me a while to find it and it doesn't even come up in search results.

I used CCM virtual image and soft phone (IP Communicator). For CCM 6, you can buy a virtual image from Cisco for about $600. For CCM 4, you can create an image yourself if you have a real CCM. For CCM 5, license is tied with MAC address and it doesn't let you run it from virtual image.