Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

CCM Bars backup size

Hopefully this is just a quick and easy question. In preparing for a planned power down of our MDF I am making an extra backup of our CCM and Unity servers. I noticed that the regular weekly backups look to be running properly but for some reason the file size varies quite a lot over the past 7 or 8 backups. Anywhere from 970KB to 16,330KB. Does bars only make a backup of changes? The settings for what BARS is actually backing up does not change week to week. Currently the only check box filled is CCM. Also if I am backing up the Pub do I really need to back up the Sub if it is already sync'd up? Thank you in advance for any responses.

Here is another thing I just noticed the Sub backup is a consistent size and quite a bit larger then the Pub backup. Any ideas there?

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Red

Re: CCM Bars backup size

Hi Matt,

You can identify the Sub as a backup target but its not a must unless you have different files in the TFTP folder that are not in the Pub database. The Backup Target designation is usually for CRA,CER Servers etc. My guess on the varying file size is that it is probably due to the amount of CDR's that are being backed up.

**For subscriber databases that are configured for backup, BARS backs up only TFTP files and CDR/CMR files.**

The following list shows the data that is backed up and restored for the Cisco CallManager publisher database:

Hosts and LMhosts files

Latest Cisco CallManager publisher database

DC Directory LDAP directory

For Cisco CallManager 3.3.x DirectoryConfiguration.ini from C:\dcdsrvr.

For Cisco CallManager 4.0(x) or later UMDirectoryConfiguration.ini.

Directory schema files avvid_schemaV*.txt

Publisher and subscriber configuration information to replication.ini file.

Cisco CallManager version to version.ini file.

If the option to backup CDR is chosen, CDR database and CDR/CMR flat files from Local CDR Path

TFTP files from C:\Program Files\Cisco\TFTPPath (the default path)

TFTP files from alternate file locations

Cisco Bulk Administration Tool (BAT) files-templates from C:\CiscoWebs\BAT, CSV files from C:\BAT and the BATversion.asp file.

HKLM\Software\Cisco Systems, Inc. (registry keys)

Cisco CallManager DSN

Security files (certificates) from under C:\Program Files\Cisco\Certificates. This applies only to Cisco CallManager 4.x or later.

LDAPConfig.ini for IPMA configuration.

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00805e6496.html#wp43860

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

The previous post is helpful and I will rate but I still wonder why the drastic change in size of my Publisher backup for week to week. There hasn't been that much of a fluctuation in the configuration of the system.

It's a little scary thinking that I will rely on these backups to restore a system when they change so much while the information they should be backing up doesn't change.

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Matt,

I'm sorry I didn't explain this very well :(

The size of the backup will vary due mainly to the volume of CDR records. You probably have the system set to purge the records at a specific time. This is why the backup size could be quite high one week (before purge) and quite low the following week (after purge). Just to reassure you, we recently did a rebuild in the lab using the BARS backup and it worked perfectly. Here is a great explanation of the backup file size from Gonzalo@Cisco;

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=IP%20Telephony&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1ddbcc53/0#selected_message

Hope this helps!

Rob

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content