cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCM in same VLAN with IP Phones or VLAN with Windows Servers?

cybrsage
Level 1
Level 1

Very basic question, but it is an ongoing debate here:

Should I put the CCM in the same VLAN as the IP Phones or should I put it in the same VLAN as the Windows Servers?

Both have merits, both have drawbacks. I cannot find a recommendation from Cisco anywhere.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

as a rule of thumb, i'd place ccm server(s) in a VLAN separate from your other servers and separate from the phones.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

i usually segregate the servers, services and devices. (mind you we have thousands of devices registered to multiple clusters)

for example, i have 4 different VLANs for the ccm servers in multiple clusters.

pub has it's own vlan, tftp has it's own vlan and subs are divided among two other vlans for network redundancy reasons. (if one vlan dies the phones/devices still have access to a sub in another vlan)(i also have two of the subs as redundant tftp incase the main fails)(i have redundant data centers at the core & dist. with redundant/meshed uplinks to the accesss layer so i'm up even if one of my datacenters loses power; must be nice to have $$$$ to spend!!)

the publisher does nothing but CDR, administration, authentication and web serving, ie: directories, services, etc.

the use of multiple VLANs in this scenario allows me to make some specific redundancy as well as segregate traffic easier via VACLs. (vlan acl's)

we are extremely buttoned up.

no access to any services/devices unless expressly permitted, no matter where on the network, egress & ingress. (i don't even let a device talk to other devices on its own VLAN unless permitted; using the most acl's i've ever used) you may not need so much security in place, hence you may not need some of the benefits of diseminating the servers/services across the network as such.

if you ask a well trained/experienced network designer, i'd think you would get an answer of segregation for security purposes, and consolidation for ease of administration and troubleshooting purposes.

Great information, but it does not actually answer my question of which VLAN to place the CCM Server into.

Thank you!

To see if I understand what you are saying:

The CCM can be placed into either the Data or Voice VLAN, or even a third VLAN, depending on the security needs and which I prefer to place it into.

Am I correct?

as a rule of thumb, i'd place ccm server(s) in a VLAN separate from your other servers and separate from the phones.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: