Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

CCME support SRST?

We are proposing a 5 site IPT solution using CCME. Does the CCME work like the CallManager, where you can have one central call processing server at the main site, and if that goes down, you can run in an SRST mode.

Can we do this using only CCMEs?

5 REPLIES
Super Bronze

Re: CCME support SRST?

Not really.

CallManager is designed for centralised deployments - e.g. CallManager at HO, SRST on routers at remote sites which provide some local failover service.

CME is the same hardware and software as the SRST routers, but configured differently to provide a small, single site system based on IOS.

So you could put CME on each of your five sites - but each must be configured seperately (no central config) and you will find lots of differences in terms of features that are available (including resiliency - it's quite poor on CME compared to CallManager).

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts.

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

With CME 4.0, you can preconfigure your router with ephones and ephone-dn's and run it in SRST mode. This doesnt mean that you can run the phones on CME when wan is up and when wan is down, router switches over to SRST.

Under normal operating conditions, phones will be registered to Callmanager. When wan goes down, they register locally to the branch office router which is a CME router configured in SRST mode. When in SRST mode, you will get a lot more features than a regular SRST router. You can configure hunt groups, paging, intercom..pretty much any thing you can do in a CME router can be configured.

Check this link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00806a7fe8.html

Sankar

PS1: My post doesnt conflict with what Aaron said. He is absolutely right on his comments.

PS2: please remember to rate posts!

Yes, but Cisco's had a web conference back in Jan '06 touting different levels of CME functionality in 4.0. Unfortunately it was very sale oriented, so the details were sketchy.

One of the features of a CME 4.0 of the 'upper tier' products was the ability for CME to me a central CME controlling CME system via SRST.

Anyway, I have no idea when this product will come to fruition, but when/if it does, it would be a great thing for smaller rollouts that don't need all the bells and whistles of CallManager proper.

It's a double edge sword for an engineer working with CME listing to a sales pitch on 'future-ware' but you have to know what to expect, but companies can change their minds at any time...

- jam

ok. I know each of site must configure seperately CME(no central config).But now I want to bypass long distance call between sites call to save cost.Can I achieve it by dialplan-pattern ? For example : if usesA in siteA(prefix 33) with extension 111 calls userB in siteB(prefix 44) with extension 222 , he must dial 44222 . If not , what better way to acheve it except additional CCM or gatekeeper in center . Because CCM and gatekeeper have more cost .

Super Bronze

Hi

You can achieve that using careful configuration of your dial-peers on CME... E.g. create a dial-peer to route calls out of the local PSTN connection (e.g. destination-pattern 9T), and another (more specific) dial-peer to route calls to the other CMEs (e.g. one for each seperate CME site, destination-pattern 44...).

What a gatekeeper or CCM would allow you to do is:

- Centralise your config, so if you add a new site you don't have to make changes to all the other CME routers.

- Use Call Admission Control... if you have limited bandwidth, you really need to make sure that people can't set up more calls than can be accomodated in your priority QoS queue. If they do, then all calls over the WAN at that time will suffer poor quality. Without centralised CCM or GK, it's not possible to control the number of concurrent calls properly.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts.

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content