Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

CER/E911 - A Couple Of Questions

I have Cisco CER release 7.0, I guess a pub and sub, or CER with failover.

Question - 1.  Anyway, here in the last 2 months, making changes are extremely slow.  If I am in the "Switch Port Details" and adding/changing locations, the change takes up to 40 seconds to update.  Changing an ERL Name about 20 seconds.  The server has been rebooted a couple of times due to SMTP changes.  Is there something I can look at to see what might be causing the slowness.

Question - 2.  The 911 routes will go out of service, but then will immediately go back in service, about once a week.  Is there something I can do to keep this from happening?

Question - 3.  In the log file, this info error:  "Failed to get the fully qualified host name, DNS might not be enabled.  Putting Ipaddress in Cluster database."  What host name is this talking about or what is this referring to?

Question - 4.  On some 911 calls, there can be a two second silence before the call goes thru.  What might cause that 2 second delay?

If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Everyone's tags (1)
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Hi Melinda,Considering the

Hi Melinda,

Considering the multiple issues being faced on this CER cluster, you can review the Troubleshooting guide for CER to find possible solutions

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cer/8_0/English/TSG/CER_TSG_8_0/5_e911.html

Regarding the 2 second delay issue, this will require detailed traces to be captured for a call experiencing the issue.

HTH

Manish

Melinda,Question 1 - What

Melinda,

Question 1 - What does your resources look like during your changes? I would verify that you don't have a service that is pegging the CPU or taking too much memory.

Question 2 - I would verify that the server is not loosing network connectivity and or that it is not being pegged at the time of outage. We can look at a variety of logs to see what caused the loss of connectivity at that time.

Question 3 - It's referring to the hostname of the server. You can alter the hostname of the server if you don't have DNS. If you have DNS just verify that the server has the DNS IP Address and that a "Host A" record exists for the server in DNS.

Question 4 - You will have to verify your translation patterns and route patterns. You might have an overlapping pattern that could match your ELINS and causes the dialed digits to not get get matched until the T.302 timer expires (which you probably have set to 2 seconds).

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh
6 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi Melinda,Considering the

Hi Melinda,

Considering the multiple issues being faced on this CER cluster, you can review the Troubleshooting guide for CER to find possible solutions

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cer/8_0/English/TSG/CER_TSG_8_0/5_e911.html

Regarding the 2 second delay issue, this will require detailed traces to be captured for a call experiencing the issue.

HTH

Manish

Manish, Thanks for looking

Manish,

Thanks for looking into the issue.  I did put in a trouble ticket with TAC and "dah", it is a DNS issue.  The server guys had changed DNS a long time ago and I did not realize I had not changed the DNS in CER.  What made this an issue, was a reboot about 2 months ago, when the server guys changed the SMTP IP address.  On the reboot, CER went looking for DNS and of course, could not find it.  The Publisher lost the DNS for the Subscriber. After that replication stopped between the Pub and Sub, which was causing the slowness when making changes.  I am still working with TAC to get the replication working.

On the route patterns, yep, I had 9.xxxxxxxxxx.  I changed that to 9.[2-9]xxxxxxxxx.  It fixed the issue but now, we are getting the 911 oops calls.  Folks missdialing.  One thing the delay did, was give the users enough time to hang up when they missdialed.  But with the delay, someone dialing 911 for an emergency thought the call was not going thru.

Thank you,

Melinda

Cisco Employee

Hi Melinda,Thanks for

Hi Melinda,

Thanks for updating the forum. Yes, its a common problem with users accidentally dialing 911, on cucm a lot of installations have the 9.911 pattern to counter this.

Manish

Manish,Yeap, I have to allow

Manish,

Yeap, I have to allow for both, 911 and 9.911

Thanks,

Melinda

Melinda,Question 1 - What

Melinda,

Question 1 - What does your resources look like during your changes? I would verify that you don't have a service that is pegging the CPU or taking too much memory.

Question 2 - I would verify that the server is not loosing network connectivity and or that it is not being pegged at the time of outage. We can look at a variety of logs to see what caused the loss of connectivity at that time.

Question 3 - It's referring to the hostname of the server. You can alter the hostname of the server if you don't have DNS. If you have DNS just verify that the server has the DNS IP Address and that a "Host A" record exists for the server in DNS.

Question 4 - You will have to verify your translation patterns and route patterns. You might have an overlapping pattern that could match your ELINS and causes the dialed digits to not get get matched until the T.302 timer expires (which you probably have set to 2 seconds).

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

Hi Yosh, Thanks for looking

Hi Yosh,

Thanks for looking into the issue.  I did put in a trouble ticket with TAC and "dah", it is a DNS issue.  The server guys had changed DNS a long time ago and I did not realize I had not changed the DNS in CER.  What made this an issue, was a reboot about 2 months ago, when the server guys changed the SMTP IP address.  On the reboot, CER went looking for DNS and of course, could not find it.  The Publisher lost the DNS for the Subscriber. After that replication stopped between the Pub and Sub, which was causing the slowness when making changes.  I am still working with TAC to get the replication working.

On the route patterns, yep, I had 9.xxxxxxxxxx.  I changed that to 9.[2-9]xxxxxxxxx.  It fixed the issue but now, we are getting the 911 oops calls.  Folks missdialing.  One thing the delay did, was give the users enough time to hang up when they missdialed.  But with the delay, someone dialing 911 for an emergency thought the call was not going thru.

Thank you,

Melinda

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content