Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Changing codecs on IP phones using Call Manager

Hi,

We have a lab setup using a 7960 and IPcommunicator phone. The two phones are on two different branches via routers.

According to Cisco's documentation, the default codec is g.711, However when we run a packet trace or view the stats on the phones when a call is in progress, the codec being used is g.729.

I have even configured the regions (only one region)in call manager to use g.711, assigned the region to the device pool and assigned the phones to the device pool.

We still cannot get the codecs changed to use g.711. This is a lab environment and we are just trying to test different codecs. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

6 REPLIES
Blue

Re: Changing codecs on IP phones using Call Manager

what version ccm please?

Super Bronze

In CIPC there's an option somewhere in 'audio' or 'advanced' which says 'always use low bandwidth codec' or something similar... Have you got that checked?

Remember when you set regions to g711 you are setting the max bandwidth per call (not necessarily the exact bandwidth).

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Yes, I've tried changing the codecs in CIPC from best,very good, and good. The codec value still uses g.729.

7960 <=> CIPC = g.729

CIPC <=> CIPC = g.729

Since there is only one region and all devices and device pool points to this region with codec g.711, I assume that g.711 should be used. However, this is not the case.

Does CCM detect if the two phones are over the WAN that it will use g.729 no matter what the default codec is set to?

Thank you for all the replies. I am reading through all of Cisco's site but most answers point to setting the codec region on CCM. At this point I'm lost.

DOH! You were correct! I didn't pay attention to the optimize for low bandwidth checkbox and just went to the quality options under the Audio Tab.

After I deselected the "optimize for low bandwidth checkbox, the codec being used is now g.711u.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DOH! You were correct! I didn't pay attention to the optimize for low bandwidth checkbox and just went to the quality options under the Audio Tab.

After I deselected the "optimize for low bandwidth checkbox, the codec being used is now g.711u.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCM 4.1(3)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content