Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Changing IP Address of CCM and Unity

Hello,

I have to change the subnet of our Call Manager, Unity servers and phones. I know this is a pretty big deal for CCM/Unity. However, it has to be done.

I've read the two articles on CCM and Unity for changing IP addresses. However, they don't seem to include everything.

In addition to the CCM/Unity cluster itself, I think I'll have the following:

1. Any gateways with IPs (are these changeable in CCM?).

2. Changing TSP configuration in Unity to point to the new CCM ip address.

3. It doesn't say to change the DHCP scope, but I suppose they just expect you to know that.

3. After changing the IP addresses of the CCM and creating the new scope, how do the phones react? They'd presumably have to go out and fetch a new IP address and then find the server? Will I have to visit each desk and do a reset on the phones?

Any input that can be given on the above would be a help.

thanks,

Dave

13 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Changing IP Address of CCM and Unity

1. For H323 gateways, you can change the IP Address in Callmanager. For MGCP gateways, you don't need to change it from Callmanager. When the MGCP gateways register, they will register with the new IP Address.

2. Yes, you need to manually change the Unity TSP settings.

3. In the DHCP scope, you need to update the IP Address of the TFTP server (option 150)

4. You would need to reset or power cycle the phone so that it goes through the DHCP process and gets the new IP, TFTP and all. It would be easier if you have PoE, then you can do this by telnetting to the switch and shutting down the interfaces one by one.

5. You would need to change the IP Address in the Enterprise parameters page for Directory, Services etc and also in the IP Phone Services page.

Regards,

Anup

I just change the IP address for a small cluster and got killed. There is some information missing on the cisco pdfs.

I have 27 mgcp devices, once I change the IP address only 15 worked and we had to "kick start" the other 12 mgcp devices - this meaning had to check the ccm-manager config verify pointing to proper ip address, and redunant host. Then had to stop mgcp (config t, no mgcp), and then issue mgcp command to restart mgcp. Prior to issuing the mgcp command, made sure the mgcp config-server statement was pointed to the correct IP address, in a couple of our devices, updated the ip address in the command and then issued the mgcp command to enable mgcp on the router. I spent more time restarting mgcp on the interface connected to our Nortel 61C switch using ISDN PRI, ended up calling cisco and the tech stopped mgcp and remove all mgcp configuration and then retype the mgcp commands and enable mgcp and this started the puppy back up and is working like a horse!

The RTMT service stopped working, had to update the ip address in the service -> service parameter -> service and select RIS collection, ip address was wrong in the field on this page so I updated and it BAM!, the RTMT began to work again!!!!

Yeah...I had to **#** every stupid phone, though I didn't have too many only about 60 phones. Then I had to have my SOHO users do the same...much more painful. I didn't have test environment to test the phones auto-registering...I figured since the xml file was already loaded to the phone, the phone would continue it TFTP relationship and automatically pull the updated config file...not sure why it couldn't resolve the TFTP address and pull the config automatically, but every stink'n phone was suck in CCM fallback mode, requiring a reset!!!

Lastly, the stupid subscriber will register devices but doesn't all calls accross to devices register to the publish...very BAD. I had to shut down the callmanger service on the sub...Cisco TAC says need to reboot all servers (I did this per the cisco pdf document that details changing the ip address) so I don't understand why I have to do this again...will drop everything...not good as we run production VoIP 24x7.

Oh and voicemail, followed the cisco documentation...but I had to reboot the Unity server box and then it began to work!

Simutaneous reboot of the servers in the cluster resolved all the problems.

Green

CSCeg60050

CallManager IP Address change should include reboot of cluster step-

Hello Dave

Which docs you used to help you with the change of ip address of the Call Manager.

Thanks in advance

MP

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Mario,

Here is a doc that gives a good Step by Step for this process;

Changing the IP Address for Cisco CallManager

From this excellent doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a0080094601.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hello Rob

Thanks for your information and what about the interaction with Microsoft Active Directory, I have to change there something?

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Mario

Hi Mario,

Yes, the document that Rob included below is the one I used.

If you follow it, you should be just fine. I was surprised how well it worked.

Good luck. Feel free to post again if you run into any problems.

Dave

Hello Dave

Do you have your CM connected to Microsoft Active Directory?

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Mario

Nope. In fact, Cisco recommends against that I think. They say it's OK for Unity, but not for CCM. Can't remember exactly why, but I'm pretty sure they advise against it.

Regards,

Dave

Gold

I guess we are discussing integrating CM to AD. David, Cisco recommends not joining CallManager to the domain as there could be domain policies which can affect the working of callamanager. I've seen instances in the past where customers ad the server to their domain and without being aware of a few domain policies they had, it broke the system.

Integrating CallManager to AD, which means using AD as the LDAP server and not DC Directory. This works fine and is well supported. Normally, haven't seen to many issues with that exact for sometimes the password policies applied to the domain accounts which was applied to CCM System accounts and multiple times when account lockout was configured.

To answer the question regarding if anything needs to be done for AD integration, you dont have to do anything after changing the IP Address of the CallManager. All you need to do is mentioned in the doc provided by Rob and that should be it. Changing IP Address of CallManager is the same when integrated with AD and DC.

Hope this helps.

Hi

We finished changing the ip address of the CM 4.1(3) Cluster in more a less 40 min, following the document that Dave told. In fact the only thing that wasn't in the document was that we had to change the gateways, and to have to run again the AD integration. It worked very fine, we were very to change almost 1956 Ip phones in so short time.

Thanks for your posts.

Mario

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Mario,

I'm sorry we are not integrated with AD so I can't offer any suggestions here. Perhaps this doc may give you some ideas;

Cisco Unified Communications SRND Based on Cisco Unified CallManager 4.x

LDAP Directory Integration

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_implementation_design_guide_chapter09186a00806e8c04.html#wp1066979

Hope this helps!

Rob

Views
Helpful
Replies