cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing SQL 'sa' user account password

gordon.hawkins
Level 2
Level 2

I was wondering if anyone had a bead on a Cisco approved method of changing the 'sa' SQL account on my pub and sub.

I have searched the forums and cisco.com and only found a forum post that stated: "run the upgrade, and abort it - it'll ask you to set a new 'sa' password."

This doesn't really sound like a good idea to me.. any other thoughts? When I rebuilt my CMs (in a rush), I set the 'sa' account to blank - and I don't want to leave it blank.

Thanks in advance!

3 Replies 3

gary.shaw
Level 1
Level 1

Im pretty sure its a re-install, the password is buried too deep to do any "on-the-fly" change.

Sorry...

Gary

mciarochi
Level 1
Level 1

I had to do this with the help of TAC after I lost my publisher. It's probably not approved, but that's because you do it in MS-SQL, not Cisco.

Research on your own here, don't trust me, I can't even pronounce SQL, proceed at your own risk, etc., but this will give you a good start.

Start the SQL Enterprise Manager, probably easiest on the publisher. You should see (or register so that you can see) all of your servers.

Under each server is a security folder, which has Logins, which is where the 'sa' user is. You can right-click and set the same password on each of these.

Under each subscriber server, expand Databases, and then expand your active database (i.e. CCM030x). There's a "pull subscriptions" folder, which will list a job. Right click on the job, click on the security tab, and there's the login 'sa', password, and verification. It's in there twice. You need to set that for each subscriber. I set every 'sa' on every server to the same password for my own sanity.

I also had to delete and re-create the pulls on the subscribers, but that was because I lost the publisher. I don't think you would have to do that. You can also get to the same window by highlighting the server, selecting 'tools' and 'replication' and the database and job.

See you in SQL school - it's next on my list.

This worked great! And I checked my replication after making the password change, and it was still working - I didn't need to recreate the subscriptions.

Thanks!