Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Changing the Exchange Organisation with Unity 4.0(3), 5.5 to 2003

A customer is changing their corporate email from exchange 5.5 to exchange 2003. Mailboxes are not being upgraded or migrated, but instead a new messaging environment is being created (separate site), and emails are copied across on a per users basis.

Unity 4.0(3) is currently installed, the existing 5.5. box is used for Unified messaging.

Aliases for the new accounts/mailboxes are to be the same, and it isn't necessary to merge subscriber messages.

In order to use the existing Unity serer and re-home to the new Exchange 2003 server, is it possible to use the Migrate subscriber data tool?

I envisaged:

Re-running the services config and mailstore configuration wizards, to point at the new Ex2k3 server with the correct service accounts and permissions.

Install the admin software on the Unity server.

Use the Migrate subscriber data tool to assign existing subscriber data to the new ex2k3 mailboxes.

-----------------------

The move will take about 2 weeks in total, and an ADC is to be used during the change. Will Unity happily service both exchange servers during the migration?

And lastly, Is it necessary to uninstall the Unity server form the exchange 5.5 server?

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES
Gold

Re: Changing the Exchange Organisation with Unity 4.0(3), 5.5 to

I'm not really understanding what they plan to do. You state 'Mailboxes are not being upgraded or migrated, but instead a new messaging environment is being created (separate site), and emails are copied across on a per users basis' and later you say they are going to use the ADC. That is kinda contridicting. If they are using the ADC then they are going to be in the same Org. You can please clarify?

Thanks,

Keith

Re: Changing the Exchange Organisation with Unity 4.0(3), 5.5 to

Hi

My mistake sorry.

The mailboxes will be migrated from a separate domain/exchange organisation.

The current AD domain accounts associated with the 5.5 mailboxes will be used for the new Ex 2k3 org. Unity, the user accounts are in the main domain, where the new Exchange environment will be , and existing mailboxes are in a secondary domain.

My questions really are:

What is needed to disconnect the unity server form the 5.5 exchange

After upgrading the exchange s/ware and running msg store config to point at the new server,:

-will Unity pick up the new mailboxes, as the aliases are the same?

Thanks in advance

Mick

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content