Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the 'wav' codec. WARNING-DON'T DO IT!!!!!

Dear All,<br>Whilst i know it is possible to change the recording format of Unity to a lower rate, i suggest not changing it from experience.<br>Recently a customer decided to change the codec in order to have a smaller 'wav' file size in the exchange server.<br>The change was made and unity worked fine.<br>All user's (locally) downloaded the codec and could play/record etc using the new format.<br>The client also has TTS (text to speech for exhange).<br>When they listen to voice mail they also listen to email, and can also reply of course. Now, when replying to a email using voice, the return 'attachment' that is sent to the outside person (email) will be in the new lower recorded format. Not in the standard 'wav' sample rate.<br>So what you say!<br>The outside person, on receipt of the email can't open the attachment 'cause their media player doesn't have the codec that you installed locally!<br><br>Moral of the storey:<br>"DON'T CHANGE THE DEFAULT RECORDING FORMAT!!!!!!!!!!!"<br><br>Sure you can send the codec ..blah blah blah.., but do you really want to have the client send it to ALL their contacts??<br><br>Take it me from me(and the client) first hand,<br>'Don't do it!'<br><br><br>

2 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Changing the 'wav' codec. WARNING-DON'T DO IT!!!!!

This is covered in our documentation... yes, if you switch to a codec not natively supported by Windows (i.e. the 3K ADPCM format) you'll have this issue.

This will be a problem for other codecs coming down the pike such as G279 and the like. Folks will need to make educated decisions on the trade offs here. I don't think a blanket "don't do it" is appropriate, however. Lots of folks are happy with the lower bandwidth option since they don't do a lot of external messaging.

this is why the default is 8k MuLaw (lots of folks ask me that). Windows supports it natively.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://members.home.net/jlindborg

Anonymous
N/A

Re: Changing the 'wav' codec. WARNING-DON'T DO IT!!!!!

Jeff.
The point i was looking to make was that its fine to do it internally, but there are ramifications for OUTSIDE persons when sending email to the client.

I.e "The Big Picture"

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content