Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Changing Unity folders in Exchange?

When Unity was installed it created a folder on my Exchange Server called "DistributionLists". I already had a folder called "Distribution Lists" (has a space). I'd like to merge these two folders into one and would prefer to use the one I made, with the space. is thisz possible or am I better off moving all my distribution lists into the folder Unity made? <br><br>

2 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Changing Unity folders in Exchange?

First off, you can’t move an object from one container to another once that object has been created in a particular container… you have to “duplicate” it and then delete the old one. The distinction is important since the container name is included in the Distinguished Name which Unity uses as a unique identifier for all objects in the directory (since aliases are not enforced to be unique).

So if you toasted the DLs that Unity creates (in particular the UnaddressedMessages DL) and recreated them with the same alias in another container, the references to that DL will still be broken. Which is bad. The UnaddressedMessages DL is where all outside caller messages go if they can’t be delivered (i.e. box is off line, mailbox is full etc…). You don’t want to lose that guy.

As such, you have a couple options here.

First, you can leave it as is. Having multiple containers with DLs wont cause anyone trouble… Unity will create new DLs in the “DistributionLists” container if you make them via the SA, but other than that, we don’t do anything special with this container. We’ll see other DLs in other containers just fine.

You can “move” your DLs into our container (i.e. duplicate them and toast the originals), delete your container and then rename our container to include a space (if this is what you’re looking for). Just changing the display name of the container is no problem. This would be my choice if you’re just looking to clean up your hierarchy a bit.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://members.home.net/jlindborg

Re: Changing Unity folders in Exchange?

Your idea in that last paragraph is exactly what I need.

Thank You

Views
Helpful
Replies