cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Checking Voicemail from PSTN

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Is there a way to setup Unity to allow users to dial from outside the system and check their specific VM boxes? When you try it now you just get the sytem greeting, not the enter password prompt.<br><br>

4 Replies 4

Not applicable

The basic problem is that when callers are calling from the PSTN, Unity isn't going to know what box to log them into.

For those users to get the password prompt, the switch integration would have to provide the DTMF id of the subscriber that is calling in from the PSTN. Many switch integrations can provide calling party ID whether the caller's call originates from the PBX or the PSTN. However, the calling party ID on a PSTN originating call is not likely to match the DTMF id of the subscriber.

In 3.0 there will be support for multiple IDs per subscriber. In this case if the PSTN caller always called from the same set of numbers (i.e. their cell phone, home phone, etc...), and the integration method provided the caller ID, then they could get prompted for their password.

For now, the PSTN calling subscribers could enter "*" at the opening greeting, they will get prompted for their DTMF ID, and after correctly entering that, they will get prompted for their password.

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Not applicable

I have tried entering the "*" at the opening greeting, but Unity doesn't seem to hear any digits I dial. Is there another setup option I need to enable to have Unity to hear DTMF tones? I have tried calling from Callmanager and a cell phone.

Not applicable

Are you running an IOS gateway to connect to the PSTN? If so, make sure that "dtmf-relay h245-alphanumeric" is enabled on the dial-peer(s) servicing Unity.

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Not applicable

That works...Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: