cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

christamas greeting

shouyisun
Level 1
Level 1

customer would like to have a Christmas greeting during the Christmas, what's the solution for that, create a new call handler or record Christmas greeting on alterante greeting from opening greeting then manually enable it on that specific day?

Thanks

8 Replies 8

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The short story is the easiest way to do this is to use the alternate greeting and activate it when it’s time. This is not a very satisfying answer since it can’t be done for call handlers over the phone until the release of 4.0(1), however.

That said, there’s a tricky way to pull off a “holiday” greeting with 3 call handlers, some duct tape and a little bailing wire that I detail in the Audio Text chapter of the book we’re working on. I’ll be posting this chapter on AnswerMonkey probably after Thanksgiving – it’s almost done, just gotta give it some spit and polish. Here’s the brief version, however:

When a schedule is in “holiday” mode it just kicks into “after hours”- there is no “holiday” greeting on call handlers which would be nice to have but isn’t there and it isn’t on the roadmap. However, you can chain 3 call handlers together and make sure that calls only reach the 3rd call handler when it’s a holiday and no other time.

Call Handler A – first call handler, could be the opening greeting. Create a schedule called “day schedule” that’s active during business hours (i.e. 8am to 5 pm or whatever). Make sure it honors holidays. Record an appropriate standard greeting and have the after greeting action go to wherever you want (i.e. the operator call handler). Set the after hours greeting to be blank and set it to send to the greeting for Call Handler B.

Call Handler B – Create a schedule called “night schedule” that’s active during off hours (i.e. 5pm to 8am) and make sure that it honors holidays. Record a standard greeting that plays what you like (i.e. “we’re closed right now…”) and have the after greeting action go where you like (for instance to the example interview handler). Set the off hours greeting to be blank and have it’s after greeting action to the greeting for Call Handler C.

Call Handler C – Set it’s alternate greeting active so it plays all the time – it doesn’t matter what schedule it’s associated with then. Record your holiday greeting here (i.e. “Happy Holidays! We’re closed…”) and have the after greeting action set to do what you want with the call.

So… when a call comes in during business hours it hits call handler A and the standard greeting plays. When the call comes in after hours it passes through A and goes to B and it’s standard greeting plays because you have it associated with the mirror opposite of the day time schedule. This means the only way a call could ever hit Handler C is if it’s a holiday since during Holidays Unity forces the “off hours” event which will force it to fall through A and then B and finally hit C. This way you can record the upcoming holiday greeting in C and leave it.

A little awkward but workable.

Do we still have to turn this alternate greeting on at that holiday or it will works automatically with this solution?

It'll work automatically with this solution... just be sure to record the appropriate greeting for the upcoming holiday before it gets there... you wouldn't want your Thanksgiving holiday greeting playing during Christmass for instance.

How does system know when it is holiday?

You define holidays in the SA under "holidays" - when that date comes around, any schedule that is set to "observe holidays" will assume it's inactive for that day regardless of what it's schedule settings are.

So what you said" hornor holiday" in prevoius answer actually means enable "obeserve holiday", doesn't it? So when holiday comes, the system will consider that day as after hour and treat it with after hour action. Right? No matter day time or night, call will pass A and B, finally send to C. Is this how your solution actually works?

yes, yes and yes.

My case is little different, here is the scenario:

During daytime call is answered by operator, only after hours calls are forwarded to after hour greeting. Can I still use your solution in this case?