cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2600/3600 Connected to a Toshiba DK424

jaiello2000
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone done this? Can you offer any advice? This is a proof of concept project I am working on.

I would imaging I would be using a NM-xV with a VIC-2FXO or a NM-HDV-xT1.

Any help is appreciated.

5 Replies 5

dakeller
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Depending on how you plan to configure this, will determine the cards to use. It looks like the DK424 supports both fxo and T1 interfaces. If this is the case, then the HDV will work fine.

A point that will need clarification is what digital interface the DK424 supports. If it's PRI, then the HDV supports most flavors in user mode. Can the DK424 support network side PRI? If the DK424 supports T1 CAS, the this is not a problem.

Thanks,

Dan Keller

Cisco Systems

I have since learned that we have a T1-PRI interface on the Toshiba, so I will be using the NM-HDV with PRI.

I have used the HDV in a number of ways, so I am ready for that part.

Thanks.. Will advise

blcase
Level 1
Level 1

You might take a look at the PBX intergration site.

It has some very good info on using 3640's & the Toshiba DK424.

http://cisco.partnerelearning.com/pbxtool/index.htm

I'd like to know how it worked out. I have a customer w/ 10 sites using these and looking to do a phased migration to IP Telephony.

I checked out the site. Looks like it might be helpful in the future. Thanks!

For now, I will be using a PRI interface to the 2600 with a NM-HDV. This is the only interface that allows us to fully dive the PBX. We will be going from PRI to SIP to our advanced telephony service. I will be using a different media gateway for PSTN access and hope to have 4 or 5 digit dialing between the Toshiba phones an the phones on our IP network.

I hope I can configure the 2600 so that we can hairpin calls from the Toshiba to the PSTN using SIP for inbound or outbound local calls. Looks good on paper.

For backhaul VoIP testing, I have just configured a couple 2621 routers with AIM and ATM with a couple PVCs for voice and data. Once trhe PBX integration is wokring I will bounce in the ATM board in configuration and start driving this like a real customer premisis (OK, so it is just a T1 crossover).

Wish me luck. Will advise when I am done, but will probably need help long before I am done :)

Finally got around to this project and it works quite well.

I have had to learn how to program the Toshiba DK424, but the manual worked OK for that. Just a couple lingering issues like the Toshiba not sending calling number or displaying calling numbers.

I have 2 configurations for the Toshiba. One where they dial 9 and a 4 digit extension of the IP enabled phones and one (current) where the Toshiba users go off hook to a CO line. They can dial 4 digits and connect to IP enabled phones or are hairpinned back to the PBX. I use this to take advantage of our applications enabled softswitch features. The PBX users get call logs and can use our advanced call treatments.

Each PBX user has a subscriber profile on our system so the IP enabled phones can dial 4 digits for the PBX users. This gives the IP enabled phones display data for the user name and number called. I have PBX profiles forwarded to a 10 digit number which we send (SIP) to the 2600. The 2600 strips the leading 6 digits and sends the 4 digit number to the PBX.

I could use some call routing on our system to avoid having a PBX subscriber on our system, but I like them having the cool features.

Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions.