cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7940 Setup w/ a 7914 Module

cjgambill
Level 1
Level 1

I know this configuration is not supported but someone told me that they had setup a 7914 expansion module to work on a 7940 phone. Has anyone else tried this and gotten it to work?

6 Replies 6

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

When you use a 7914 with a 7960, you have a setting for Expansion modules on the 7960 configuration page. You dont have a similar setting on the 7940. So I am not sure how this will work..

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

just an idea but not tested yet, can't you manually create the 7940 with mac-addres with a 7960 template to sort of trick CM to think it is a 7960?

both 40 and 60 uses the same fw load

Anthony,

I think that might work. I may test that today some time. In fact the 7940/7960 (if you open the face plate) is exactly the same h/w. Just that the front buttons on the face plate show up as 2 on the 7940, even though there is provision for 6 buttons.

LOL

PS: note that you may not call Cisco for support as this will be an unsupported config.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

I think the CM knows the difference and the phone won't load if you have the wrong type selected.

Tested this setup on CM and a 7940 phone. The phone does not register as a 7960, as it keeps getting error message "Registration rejected"

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

I received the same message also.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: