cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7960G Phone volume problem

gkeel
Level 1
Level 1

I have CallManager 4.1(3)SR1 using Cisco 2811 routers for MGCP Gateways and Cisco 7960G phones for the users. Several users have indicated that they can not get enough volume from their handsets to hear callers even when they have used the volume control to increase the volume to the max. Other users seem to have a greater range of volume for their calls. Is there any way of increasing the volume range on a particular phone or of troubleshooting why the call volume of calls is so low?

Thanks for any incite into this issue.

Gene

5 Replies 5

Aaron Dhiman
Level 2
Level 2

Is the volume a problem for internal calls not using the PSTN? If it is just for PSTN calls and you are using analog circuits, try adjusting the input gain.

I am going to check with the users and will try the input gain if only PSTN is affected. Thanks

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Gene,

This could also be a firmware issue with the version the phones are using. There were some volume issues with the 7.2 version. What are your phones running? Also, for the users that are having these problems, is it on every call or just random?

Rob

The firmware is 7.2(3.0) so that may be the issue. The users haven't said whether it is random or not and haven't indicated whether it is internal calls, PSTN calls or both. I'll get with them today to get a better idea of the issue. Thanks.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Gene,

I think I would do a firmware upgrade on the phones.I did a search on the 7.2 version and came up with 186 listed bugs :( Here is one of the bugs I was looking at that is related to your current version and 7960 phones in particular;

CSCsb89192 Bug Details

Headline 7960: Phone volume not being set properly at RTPRx start

First Found-in Version 7.2(0.3)

First Fixed-in Version 7.2(3.1), 4.1(3)ES41, 3.3(5)ES35, 4.0(02a)ES70, 4.1(3)SR03

Symptom:

On a Cisco 7960 phone, use of the RTPRx URL without a volume parameter will result

in insufficient volume. The phone should used the last saved volume in this case.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: