Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco 851 router and a VoIP phone

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to set up a VPN connection using CISCO 851 router (with wireless functionality) between my house and CO to use the VoIP phone. The CO uses Cisco 7960G phones, and my question is whether I can use any other, cheaper model from CISCO (as the VoIP phone). I know the other models from Cisco support different types of VoIP protocols and I'm not sure which ones are the once being used.

Also, is it required to have the internet connection with a static IP address to make the phone work? (will the dynamic address work ? )

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cisco 851 router and a VoIP phone

You can use any Cisco phone you want to use. The choice of phone depends strictly on features available on the phone. If you use a phone like 7905, 7912 etc, you lose speakerphone functionality along with many other features. As long as its a Cisco phone it will work. The preferred way of communication between your house and CO is to use VPN. If you setup EasyVPN between the two, you may use dynamic or static addresses.

HTH

Sankar.

2 REPLIES

You can use any Cisco phone you want to use. The choice of phone depends strictly on features available on the phone. If you use a phone like 7905, 7912 etc, you lose speakerphone functionality along with many other features. As long as its a Cisco phone it will work. The preferred way of communication between your house and CO is to use VPN. If you setup EasyVPN between the two, you may use dynamic or static addresses.

HTH

Sankar.

Thank you for your help thisishanky, ... one thing I forgot to ask: what is the purpose of the Cisco license on the phone? I know those without one are cheaper :)

Views
Helpful
Replies