Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ATA 186 Analog Telephone Adaptor

ab0809742006
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 2 Cisco ATA 186 connected back to back via H323 protocol.

with my current setup both machines have dial-tone on both FXS ports but if i use an IP Dialing on these two machines only the 1st port is ringing not the 2nd port.

How can i make the 2nd port to ring? Is there any configuration i need in order for these devices to ring. By the way all ports have analog telephone connected.

Please tell how configure to enable the 2nd fxs port to ring, and instead of ip address can i use the UID0 and UID1 to call because i got always a busy answer even if it is not busy.

Can you help me on this? It would be great if anyone could help me to solve this issue.

Thanks,

Arthur

2 Replies 2

a-vazquez
Level 6
Level 6

The Cisco Analog Telephone Adaptor (ATA) 186 is a handset-to-Ethernet adaptor that interfaces regular analog phones with IP-based telephony networks. The Cisco ATA 186 has two voice ports that were designed to support legacy analog touch-tone telephones. Unlike the regular Foreign Exchange Station (FXS) ports, these cannot be interfaced with a PBX as the Cisco ATA 186 cannot send out digits on these ports. Both voice ports can be used simultaneously as long as they are configured with different telephone numbers.

These are the three ways to configure the Cisco ATA 186:

Through the Interactive Voice Response (IVR)

Through a Web Server

Through a TFTP Server

This URL should help you:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/voip/ata_basicconfig.html

There is one caveat I know about on the ATA 188 units which may apply on the 186 models, and that is is that the ATA's don't support G729 on both ports simultaneously. Both ports can be setup for G729, but only one port can be in operation with this codec at any one time.

You setup the codec selections in the ATA web page or via the IVR.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: