Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Cisco guys, when will you be supplying those scripts to you customers?

Wake up Cisco.

I did not forsee such response to the offer I made of the XML scripts. I think it time for Cisco to supply their customers what they need...

( unless cisco starts paying me ofcourse :-)

Regards

Aad

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Cisco guys, when will you be supplying those scripts to you

I'm only speaking for myself here, but allow me to opine:

I don't think it's a good idea for Cisco to provide a "bunch" of XML scripts to people because the really good ones that are going to sell someone on a solution are ones that have to be baked up on a case by case basis, and so done by qualified web programmers.

I do think it's a good idea for Cisco to provide a Software Development Kit for said web programmers to assist them in implementing these XML applications so as to increase product flexibility and attractiveness. An SDK is planned to be released this year to fill this gap. Your account team may be able to provide more details (e.g. release dates, etc)

The key behind XML and probably one of the reasons it was chosen is that it truly is eXtensible to a large degree, and coming up with canned scripts that will win over the hearts and minds of even a medium customer base is not an easy task, because everyone will want something different. A very good framework for XML app development is provided, it is an open standard with an existing developer base, and the specific tags that are understood are publicly available on the Cisco website.

Again, I'm not saying that Cisco won't ever provide more of a variety of XML sample applications, I'm simply stating my personal opinion as to why Cisco shouldn't spend too much caught up in writing a bunch of these apps... rather, Cisco should provide a solid platform to enable its partners and customers to do so. On the same vein, some Cisco IOS platforms can execute TCL based IVR scripts, and some are provided... others must be written by TCL developers.

Community Member

David

In some part you might be right,( for the customer specific apps) but to help users and your company to kick off with the new IP phones and their value added services, I think the need to provide basic tools set with examples is mandatory.

It is very obvious the longest thread in this forum( on XML examples ) so indicates the need for this stuff by customer demand...

Aad

Cisco Employee

Aad,

Cisco will be making an SDK available sometime in March that provides some simple components for Image Conversion, LDAP Searches and a URL grabber. There will also be some samples that use these components with the SDK. This first release of the SDK will provide samples for the functionallity that is currently shipping.

Also, We are working to make samples available from CCO.

Darrick

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content