Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco IP Communicator & Vista

I was wondering if anyone knows if theres a supported version of IP Communicator to use with Vista? I have tried installing on Vista, but the install abrubtly stops and says its not supported.

8 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Cisco IP Communicator & Vista

Dion,

The current version of IP Communicator v2.0(2) is not supported on Microsoft Windows Vista. There is currently not a supported version of IP Communicator available.

Thanks Mate,

I assumed that would be the case,

Do you know where I can go to find information on if this is in the pipeline, or any future release info?

Cheers

Dion

Gold

u shud contact ur SE/AM/Partner from whom u bought the Cisco gear. They should be able to get u info about it

Any status updates from Cisco on when IP Communicator 2.x will support Vista ?

not yet mate, we were speaking to our AM at Cisco, apparently there wont be anything till near the end of the year, they are working on Patches etc. The issue is that MS have changed the Java Engine in Vista, which IPC relies on..

Dion

I thought Java was from Sun Microsystems not Microsoft. Vista doesn't ship with any Sun java support.

I've installed the Java 2 SE from www.java.com and have had no issues with CCMadmin, etc.

I suspect they'll re-arrange priorities after more customers start Vista rollouts or just get it on new PCs.

Sorry mate, here is a better understanding of what I mean, this was from Cisco..

Let me clarify, this is more about backward compatibility to Java in Vista than Microsoft ceasing development of the MSJVM, my apologies if I mislead you in any way. I am aware that Microsoft have ceased development of the MSJVM, however we use SUN Java Runtime Engine in this particular product.

From what information I have, this is my understanding of the issue. Please bear in mind I am not a software development engineer, neither am I a Vista expert, so this is my interpretation of the developer bug case logs and documents. The Java Runtime Engine (JRE for short), which we require for our application to operate, is not present in Vista and cannot be installed into Vista.

To verify this, we have tried here with Vista on one of my colleagues computers, and completely failed to install the IP Communicator application, so this does appear to be a real problem, rather than something we can work around.

The IP Communicator checks for the required JRE support, as part of the installation process, failing a compatibility check, it will attempt to install the required Java Runtime Engine, in our case something compatible with JRE 1.4.2.110. However as both of these processes (Check returns not-compatible and installation of old JRE under Vista due to something called ReqExecLevel) fail during the installation process for IP Communicator in Vista. This is my interpretation of reading the developer comments. I have read after some searches online that Sun are working on retrofitting older Java runtime engines (1.4 and 1.5) into Vista which may solve the problem in your timeframes, or it may not.

Therefore, if Vista won?t run older JRE?s (lack of backward/forward compatibility between SUN JRE and Vista seems to be the case), we will need to rewrite the application as either a fat-client (non-Java based), or to a newer version of Java Runtime Engine compatible with Vista. Microsoft/SUN might fix the backward compatibility issue, however we can?t really count on this for customers such as yourselves who want a timely solution, so we should really proceed with development to ensure customers such as yourselves get a client in an expedient manner.

We are actively petitioning the Software Development Unit responsible for this application using all available channels, to try to bring the go to market for a Vista compatible IP Communicator, forward ? worldwide there are over 50 cases requesting this functionality. We will hopefully have some positive news on this next week, it is looking likely that we will have at least a Beta version of software for you some time sooner than November. I note that there is some dialog with Microsoft on this in the case notes, so hopefully this will be solved sooner rather than later.

Interesting info. Thanks -jason

Views
Helpful
Replies