Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco IP phone rings but no voice

bbthog
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am working with SIPH323 protocol converter. I have cisco SIP phones in my SIP network and cisco SKinny phones (H323) with CallManager in H323 network.

When I call from SIP to Skinny phone, it rings and gets connected also. But I dont hear anything (voice/audio) in skinny phone what I speak from SIP phone.

Similarly when I call from Skinny to SIP phone, I dont hear the ringing tone of SIP phone in Skinny phone, but both phones get connected and I dont hear any voice.

I would appreciate if anyone could tell me the possible solutions for this problem.

Thanks,

Balaji

2 Replies 2

c-charlebois
Level 3
Level 3

This is probably a routing problem. A common problem with H.323 gateways is the source address. H.323 advertise a source address that the far end is to send the RTP stream to. However, this address is not neccessarily the address of the closest interface and can in fact be an address that the remote site cannot reach. And if that is the case, the only error is a lack of voice. Calls will still ring and connect, because that uses TCP, but the RTP stream will be lost in the ether.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: