Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco IP Phones and Linksys Switches

Do we really need to use Cisco switches to deploy CME and IP Phones?

Will Linksys 48 port POE work? Any known issues? Linksys switches can do VLAN, QOS etc..

Thanks

AD

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cisco IP Phones and Linksys Switches

I don't believe CDP is absolutely required for the phone to function. Under normal circumstances then yes. If a VLAN is configured and DHCP/TFTP, I believe it still works. What it's required for is when you are using voice vlans so it can learn them from it's neighbor switch, negotiation of QOS (qos trust cisco-phone), negotiation of power and if VT Advantage is used. Of course I could be wrong on this but technically I think they can still work, albeit with less features.

4 REPLIES
Blue

unless the switch supports CDP (cisco discovery protocol), the cisco IP Phone will not work with it.

cisco IP phones use CDP to obtain VLAN info among other things.

I don't believe CDP is absolutely required for the phone to function. Under normal circumstances then yes. If a VLAN is configured and DHCP/TFTP, I believe it still works. What it's required for is when you are using voice vlans so it can learn them from it's neighbor switch, negotiation of QOS (qos trust cisco-phone), negotiation of power and if VT Advantage is used. Of course I could be wrong on this but technically I think they can still work, albeit with less features.

Bronze

Cisco IP phone works perfectly fine with any plain old 10Mb unmanaged hub (with external power supply for the phone). The only thing you won't have is different voice and data vlan. And of course you can't extend QoS trust.

My reply may be too late to be of any help to you, but for the benefit of others:

Be sure you understand the different types of PoE out there. The Linksys PoE switch only supports the newer IEEE 802.3af PoE standard.

The 7940, 7960, 7905 and other older Cisco phones only support Cisco pre-standard PoE and thus will not work with the 802.3af Linksys Switch.

To use this switch, you will need to make sure you are using the newer 7070, 7961, 7941 phones with support both pre-standard and 802.3af PoE.

All the best,

John

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.