Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Silver

Cisco IP Phones - Java = Webstart or Applet??

Hi,

I have been asked by one of my customers, what method of Sun Java to the Cisco IP Phones support, WebStart or Applet?

I am not a developer and do not know much about Java, I also could not find this information elsewhere.

Could anyway advise and if poss provide some docs to present to client on which method is supported??

Thanks very much.

Rgds,

LR

2 REPLIES

Re: Cisco IP Phones - Java = Webstart or Applet??

HTML Disclaimer: Phone service developers must take into consideration that the phone is not a web browser and cannot parse HTML. Although content is delivered to the phone through HTTP messages by using a web server, keep in mind that the content is not HTML. All content comes either as plain text or packaged in proprietary XML wrappers.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_programming_reference_guide_chapter09186a00801fb6d8.html

Re: Cisco IP Phones - Java = Webstart or Applet??

Hmm.. I wonder if the client means having an applet in the browser versus whatever Cisco does in the background on the CCM Admin pages.

However, IP phones don't speak java, period. Even those that have a java logo in the startup screen. While some phones (797x/IP Communicator) are indeed Java based, when it comes to "speaking" to the phone, you're limited to the XML over HTTP syntax that was already pointed ot before my post. The only way you get to use java is if you write a third party CTI application using Cisco's JTAPI provider.. but there you have nothing running on the phone.. it's all on your pc/server and the call manager.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content