Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco MCM and Siemens HiPath 5000

I have been asked to look ionto integrating the MCM functions of a routers - both gatekeeper and gateway function - with a Siemens HiPath 5000 call manager.

Can anyone give me a few pointers to get me started. I am a complete beginner as far as VoIP is concerned.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

3 REPLIES

Re: Cisco MCM and Siemens HiPath 5000

Hi Kevin,

Siemens HiPath 5000 Call Manager is generally a softswitch. I am working with a large network of Siemens HiCom 300 PBXes), but I have used their HG-1500 H323 module mostly. The HiPath 5000 can speak H323, but be careful - it still has a number of problems. Some of them -

1. You can connect IP phones is by registering them as H323 terminals (RRQ) into the HiPath 5000. But here comes another issue... --> The HiPath 5000 working as an H.323 gatekeeper can NOT support gatekeeper-routed signalling model, only direct signalling model. Which means that the Q.931/H225 call signalling thread is passing between the registered IP phone and the other side, bypassing the HiPath 5000. Very ugly :(

2. The only way to interconnect with gatekeepers/gateways is via remote-zone-routing (LRQ/LCF). You can NOT use direct H225 gw-to-gw signalling on HiPath 5000 :(

If you need any further help - do let me know.

Thanks for those tips Teodor.

I should be getting a router and a HiPath to test next week, so I shall be able to evaluate it a bit better, and I shall look out for those pitfalls. Maybe once I start playing with the real kit it will start to make more sense.

Thanks again.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

OK, wish you luck. Need any help --> tgeorgiev@is-bg.net

I am sure it can be done to work. In the worst case - it will work in an ugly manner :)

Meanwhile, I wll suggest you to read this chapter of the "IP telephony cookbook". Trust me, it will worth the time spent.

http://www.terena.nl/library/IPTELEPHONYCOOKBOOK/chapters/Chapter2.pdf

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content