Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

CISCO Switch settings for Avaya 4610 phone

Hi

I have an office with cisco 3750 switches, all was ok with voice vlans etc until a consultant suggested we hard code all ports connected to the phones 100/full now we have a problem with the 4610 phone freezing, a reset clears the problem. The soultion is easy we will go back to auto speed/duplex on the switches, however does anyone with good Avaya experience have a view on speed duplex setting for Avaya phones? or perhaps you have experienced this problem.

regards

Colin

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
10 REPLIES

Re: CISCO Switch settings for Avaya 4610 phone

Ignore the consultant. Always leave your devices and switchports set to autonegotiate unless you're trying to resolve a problem on a specific port. If you manually configure your speed and duplex, especially if you use 100/Full, you'll introduce far more problems than you're solving.

Set everything back to AUTO and tell the consultant to talk to me if he wants to argue about it. ;-)

HTH,

John

Except on the servers....hard code those if they are CM boxes. Those HP NIC drivers can flake out at anytime when set to auto. Something glitchy with the Auto between IOS and HP. We are resetting this at client sites all the time to resolve all sorts of registration and connectivity issues.

Bronze

I have about 10k avaya phones on my cisco network all are AUTO/AUTO..and this is what avaya recommends!!! All gateways and servers though should be hardset 100/full.

Also, make sure you are running the newest phone firmware 2.4

http://support.avaya.com

thanks,

nk

I agree with the first statement but the latter statement is very bad advice. If you are using switches and server NICs that were made in the last five years or so, you are statistically far more likely to encounter problems if you hard set your speed and duplex.

Use AUTO on everything unless you have a very good reason not to use it on a specific port or server.

Bronze

I've had issue using Auto/Auto on certain avaya gateways(not servers) where after resets i would get crc and fcs errors...so i just hardset those device, which avaya recommends in their IPT implementation and best practices guide.

You should never have problems if *both* sides are set to auto. If you do then one of the devices is not conforming to Fast Ethernet specs.

thanks for your replies,

regards colin

Hi Kram

Do you have a link to the best practice guide?

regards

Colin Goona

Bronze

colin, what is your email address i'll send it over.

i don't have a web link to it.

Views
Helpful
Replies