Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco UC Integration for MS Lync using CUCILYNC9.x- CUCM Configuration

Hi

The question is regarding CUCILYNC9.x, CUCM side configuration. I have attached the installation guide for reference, Page# 67 under CUCM Configuration it says:

" Need to create CSF device in CUCM which gets registered when the call control is connected to Lync2010 and operates in SoftPhone mode. 

The DN of this CSF device needs to be shared with the Actual Device of the user".

So, if we consider a scenario where in there are 300 users registered with Cisco CUCM9.1 and all provisioned with a Cisco Hard Phone 

Also, these 300 users get registered with Lync2013.

Now, if I have to do a Client to Client level integration,  use Cisco UC Integration for MS Lync using CUCILYNC9.x client (which is a separat interface using which a Lync user can call Cisco HardPhones).

Please help provide clarity on the below points:

1.Please share if the below understanding is correct for creating CSF device on CUCM?

Example:

The Lync 2013 Client is registered with Lync Registrar Server with DN say +15102994673

Since the Lync2013 Client can not register with CUCM9.1 , we create a CSF(Client Service Framework) device with the same DN on CUCM9.1

i.e; CSF Device DN: +1510299463

The DN of this CSF device needs to be shared with the Actual Device of the user which in this case is a Cisco HardPhone

So, Cisco HardPhone for the same user also configured with DN: +1510299463

Is it mandatory for a User-X  (registered with CUCM and Lync 2013 server) to have same DN on Cisco HardPhone and Lync 2013 Client ? If so, why.

Is it mandatory to have both CSF Device and the Actual Cisco  Device for the same user to have same DN's specified in E164 format? Can't we have same DN's with noraml extension (eg; 1234)

or is it because the Lync server expects the Phone Numbers to be in E164 format as such both CSF Device and the Actual Cisco  Device for the same user need to be configured  with same DN's specified in E164 format?

when some one calls User-X who is associated with  a Cisco HardPhone(registered with CUCM) and a Lync2013  Client (Registered with lync Server) on his PC/laptop and currently the User-X is available on Lync Client and accepts the call using CUCILYNC Client on his PC/laptop.

This is the reason - CSF device gets registed with CUCM and shows the CUCILYNC Client is in Softphone mode.

This way, User-X accepts the call on Lync client using CUCILYNC9.x interface

However, when User-X accepts the call on Cisco HardPhone, it shows the CSF device as unregistered with CUCM. 

5. Does CUCILYNC9.x support video call as well apart from audio?    

Thanks & Regards

Sumit

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

1. Correct, the CUCILYNC

1. Correct, the CUCILYNC plugin will register as that CSF device ONLY when in soft phone mode.  When in phone control mode, it unregisters the CSF device.

2. Yes, but realize you will be not using Lync in enterprise voice mode.  Most people turn off all Lync video and audio to prevent use confusion.  There is NO connection between any lync video/audio and the Cisco system when using Cucilync.  The only reason the numbers need to match is that CUCILync gets its click to call data from the Lync data base.  So the numbers must match, as click to call will try to either control the cisco phone or to dial the CSF device when in soft phone mode, using the number provided by lync.  If they don't match, you will have to normalize using translation patterns or other methods in call manager to transform the dialed number from the Lync/AD directory to match the DN in CUCM.

3. I think historically this was based on the fact that Lync would not publish a number in the directory unless it was in +e164 format.  Remember that CUCILync only uses the number in Lync to click to dial primarliy.  It also uses it for incoming call reverse lookups, to match the call to a lync user (at least it used to, and it was for display only).  Your choices were to either place the +e164 formatted number on the DN of the CSF/Phone in Cisco CUCM, or to perform translation from +e164 to the 4 digit Cisco DN.  Also, I belive that Lync no longer requires numbers in +e164 format...if that is the case, you simply need to make sure that Lync numbers match the Cisco DN of the user...this is so that you don't have to do extensive directory lookup translation and dailed number translation.

4. What you are implying here is correct, but I think you misunderstand one point.  The user has to specify on his client if he wants to be in softphone mode or phone control mode.  This is a manual action.  The user can not be in both modes at once.  If a user is in phone control mode, his CSF device is unregistered and only his physical phone rings (though he does get a notification in cucilync and can answer the hard phone via click).  If the user is in softphone mode then both the hardphone and softphone (CSF) ring simultaneously and either one can be answered (shared line).  You must ensure that people are calling using the CUCILync client and not trying to perform a native Lync call (again a good reason to disable Lync voice and Video).

5. CUCILync support video calls to any cisco phone or telepresence endpoint for the most part.  I believe release 9 uses the latest cisco telepresence video engine similar to jabber.

2 REPLIES

1. Correct, the CUCILYNC

1. Correct, the CUCILYNC plugin will register as that CSF device ONLY when in soft phone mode.  When in phone control mode, it unregisters the CSF device.

2. Yes, but realize you will be not using Lync in enterprise voice mode.  Most people turn off all Lync video and audio to prevent use confusion.  There is NO connection between any lync video/audio and the Cisco system when using Cucilync.  The only reason the numbers need to match is that CUCILync gets its click to call data from the Lync data base.  So the numbers must match, as click to call will try to either control the cisco phone or to dial the CSF device when in soft phone mode, using the number provided by lync.  If they don't match, you will have to normalize using translation patterns or other methods in call manager to transform the dialed number from the Lync/AD directory to match the DN in CUCM.

3. I think historically this was based on the fact that Lync would not publish a number in the directory unless it was in +e164 format.  Remember that CUCILync only uses the number in Lync to click to dial primarliy.  It also uses it for incoming call reverse lookups, to match the call to a lync user (at least it used to, and it was for display only).  Your choices were to either place the +e164 formatted number on the DN of the CSF/Phone in Cisco CUCM, or to perform translation from +e164 to the 4 digit Cisco DN.  Also, I belive that Lync no longer requires numbers in +e164 format...if that is the case, you simply need to make sure that Lync numbers match the Cisco DN of the user...this is so that you don't have to do extensive directory lookup translation and dailed number translation.

4. What you are implying here is correct, but I think you misunderstand one point.  The user has to specify on his client if he wants to be in softphone mode or phone control mode.  This is a manual action.  The user can not be in both modes at once.  If a user is in phone control mode, his CSF device is unregistered and only his physical phone rings (though he does get a notification in cucilync and can answer the hard phone via click).  If the user is in softphone mode then both the hardphone and softphone (CSF) ring simultaneously and either one can be answered (shared line).  You must ensure that people are calling using the CUCILync client and not trying to perform a native Lync call (again a good reason to disable Lync voice and Video).

5. CUCILync support video calls to any cisco phone or telepresence endpoint for the most part.  I believe release 9 uses the latest cisco telepresence video engine similar to jabber.

Thanks for the revert &

Thanks for the revert & clarification, Matthew .

Appreciate it :-)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content