Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Users might experience few discrepancies in Search results. We are working on this on our side. We apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused.

Cisco Unity Sizing Questions

Cusatomer is concerned about the deployment of UM and its effect on the message store. I read the several of the documents and I still have the following questions:<br><br>How large, in general, is a one page fax when stored on Exchange ?<br><br>Can G729A be used if I connect a Unity to a Fujitsu (via SMDI and analog)?<br><br>If an Unity subscriber receives a e-mail from an non-Unity subscriber and wants to reply to this e-mail with a voice mail message and the message is stored originally in a G729a format (to save on disk space), does Windows Media include G729a player ? (Remember, this is a non-view mail subscriber who will be listening to the message).<br><br>please confirm the following:<br>Using G729A:<br>(1) minute of voice mail takes up 60,000 bytes<br><br>Using G711:<br>(1) minute of voice mail takes up 480,000 bytes<br><br>Last question:<br><br>How do you size hard drive space for Unity?<br> VM only and Unified messaging?<br><br><br>David M. Harris

1 REPLY
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Cisco Unity Sizing Questions

I'll take a shot at some of these.

How large, in general, is a one page fax when stored on Exchange ?
Depends on the storage format and graphical complexity of the image. This is a question for the manufacturer of the fax server software.

Can G729A be used if I connect a Unity to a Fujitsu (via SMDI and analog)?
You could enable G729 and set the record format to G729. Is there a Call Manager involved?

If an Unity subscriber receives a e-mail from an non-Unity subscriber and wants to reply to this e-mail with a voice mail message and the message is stored originally in a G729a format (to save on disk space), does Windows Media include G729a player ?
G729a is a licensed codec. I don't believe that WMP yet includes a G729a license. The receiver would need to install software that support G729 playback, such as VMO or Cool Edit.

This white paper on audio format confirms your statistics:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/whitpapr/codecs.htm

For sizing questions your account team should be able to help.

Scott Morgan
Cisco Systems TAC

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content