cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco XML Obj/command for doing nothing?

minatcisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there! I was wondering if I can write a cisco XML obj to instruct the phone do nothing? I'm pushing a XML page to the phone, if certain condition holds, the phone will display an image, otherwise it should do/show nothing. How can I do that? which obj shall I use? Thank you very much for your help!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

XmlEquals
Level 3
Level 3

As long as you aren't using CiscoIPPhoneStatus, you could push as URL1 Init:AppStatus (I assume--I've never tested this but I'd guess this would work)

View solution in original post

I have two approaches:

One is well-known: send the Key:Services command.

The only problem with that is if the user of the phone were to hit Key:Services after your image was sent (therefore clearing the screen), but before you send the Key:Services command (which will now instead show the services menu to the now-confused user)

If possible, I'd recommend sending SoftKey:Exit instead--which will clear the screen only if an xml object is showing which has an exit softkey present. The downside to this is similiar to the above scenario--if the user were to get one of the native menus open, such as directories or services, they will be cleared as well when you send this command (because they also have an Exit softkey!).

So either option has a small window of time where the user may get a little frustrated, but in general that should be a good solution.

Once you've seen the pros and cons of the above two solutions in practice, and if you decide the cons are too great, you could query the phone first, using http:/IP_PHONE_ADDRESS/CGI/ModelInfo, and only send the SoftKey:Exit or Key:Services if your screen is showing at the time of the query (which you could determine based on the title of the XML object you are sending, which will show up in the /ModelInfo query). There is still a window in which the user could push a key on the phone, but it is greatly diminished if you take this route.

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

XmlEquals
Level 3
Level 3

As long as you aren't using CiscoIPPhoneStatus, you could push as URL1 Init:AppStatus (I assume--I've never tested this but I'd guess this would work)

Yes! It works! Thanks a lot!

Now I wonder if one I send a page to "cancel" a page currently shown on the phone? i.e., if I have a page displayed an image on the phone, now I want to send another page over to the phone to "remove" that image and have the phone go back to the default screen(as if the user pressed the "cancel" button). Any ideas? Thank you very much for your help!

I have two approaches:

One is well-known: send the Key:Services command.

The only problem with that is if the user of the phone were to hit Key:Services after your image was sent (therefore clearing the screen), but before you send the Key:Services command (which will now instead show the services menu to the now-confused user)

If possible, I'd recommend sending SoftKey:Exit instead--which will clear the screen only if an xml object is showing which has an exit softkey present. The downside to this is similiar to the above scenario--if the user were to get one of the native menus open, such as directories or services, they will be cleared as well when you send this command (because they also have an Exit softkey!).

So either option has a small window of time where the user may get a little frustrated, but in general that should be a good solution.

Once you've seen the pros and cons of the above two solutions in practice, and if you decide the cons are too great, you could query the phone first, using http:/IP_PHONE_ADDRESS/CGI/ModelInfo, and only send the SoftKey:Exit or Key:Services if your screen is showing at the time of the query (which you could determine based on the title of the XML object you are sending, which will show up in the /ModelInfo query). There is still a window in which the user could push a key on the phone, but it is greatly diminished if you take this route.

Thanks!!! I tried "SoftKey:Exit" and it returns "URI not found"? "Key:Services" works fine but I really would prefer "SoftKey:Exit" if it works

Do you have an Exit Softkey showing? It has to be showing. I thought that it wouldn't complain if it wasn't showing--so if you do use SoftKey:Exit, I think it's probably wise to do the /ModelInfo request to maek sure it's actually showing.

Thanks!!! I tried "SoftKey:Exit" and it returns "URI not found"? "Key:Services" works fine but I really would prefer "SoftKey:Exit" if it works

I think your browser didn't submit correctly.

You mean the browser on the phone, or the browser I used to the test the Execute obj? I also send it through my code and it's the same, Key:Services works but SoftKey:Exit does not. Anyhow I guess I have to check the Model. Thank you so very much for your help!!!

No, I mean your last post! :) ... There are two identical posts from you (even the same, wrong timestamp). I figured you may have actually said something important in your second post.

If you are still pursuing the SoftKey:Exit course--do you have an Exit Softkey showing when you send the SoftKey:Exit command? If not, I suppose then that the phone will complain (I've never used the SoftKey:Exit approach before--I assumed the phone would quietly reject the command if there was no softkey, but your experiments show that it makes a complaint). I'm curious... do you have the Ekit key showing?

I see... somehow the cisco site did not reponse, so I ended up submit twice...

Yes, I do have a Exit softkey shown the moment I pushed "SoftKey:Exit" over, here is my code:

And here is what I got:

Besides, as for ModelInfo, When visit http://PhoneIP/CGI/ModelInfo with proper credential, I got a ?

Think abou it I realize I really need either "SoftKey:Exit", or "Key:Services"+ModelInfo, but only "Key:Services" works at the moment....guess there's some setting I can fiddle with? Thanks again for all the helpful hints/suggestions!

1 thing: The Exit softkey you have pushed to the phone has to be a true Exit softkey (i.e., URL of softkey when created is SoftKey:Exit)--not just a softkey you named Exit.

But I think the 6 is the real problem. 6 is an undocumented error code, but I have seen it before in odd situation (which I can't remember exactly).

Whatever the case, you are in unchartered territory as far as I know. What model IP phone is this? What CCM version is this? What's the IP phone firmware #?

One thing that comes to mind is VMWare CCM--it's not supported I believe, and may cause this sort of issue.

You should be able to go to CGI/ModelInfo in a browser and see an XML dump with proper credentials, as you've done (not in an Execute command). Are you able to go to the IP of the phone and see the diagnostic IP phone webpage?

Currently I'm kind of experimenting on a testing cluster(which I do not own), won't be too surprised if something wasn't set up 100% it should be. I'll check details tomorrow. IP phone web page has no problme, actually I can visit /CGI/CallInfo fine as well. BTW, how do I find out the firmware#, from the phone settings button? Again thanks a lot for the reply!

http://phone_Ip/DeviceInformationX

What's the 'modelNumber' and versionID?

It returns error code 0, but this is what I get from http://PhoneIP/GCI/Java/Serviceability?adapter=device.statistics.device:

Version: SCCP70.8-0-2SR1S

Model Number: CP-7079G

CCM V4.1