Cisco Support Community
Community Member

CiscoIPPhoneError Number="0"


I'm trying to do a http post to my cisco 7970 phone for http://phoneip/CGI/Execute with the following post information:


<ExecuteItem URL=""/>


The response came from the phone is:

<CiscoIPPhoneError Number="0" />

Any ideas what that means? I read only about 1-4 error codes, nothing about 0.


Chris M.

Community Member

Re: CiscoIPPhoneError Number="0"


I modified the authentication settings like this http://mywebserver/mypage.php. I see in my webserver's log that when I'm pushing something on the phone, the phone does a http GET with the username, pass and device.

What I don't understand is why the phone response is:

The data posted is XML= ... etc.

What am I missing ? Why is this error not documented?

Thanks and regards,

Chris Miron

Community Member

Re: CiscoIPPhoneError Number="0"

This is an internal error. You should file a Defect with Cisco for this error. Be sure to include trace and log files. The most important of which would be a sniffer capture of the traffic between the phone and all other points.

Community Member

Re: CiscoIPPhoneError Number="0"


I finally made it to work. The problem was that the page used to do authentication on another http server didn't return the expected response the phone expected. Kinda silly. :)

My authentication page, which is a php page, looks like this:




(I don't need a user/password).

If I'm sending a http post like this:

POST /CGI/Execute HTTP/1.0

Host: localhost

Accept: text/html, */*

User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0)

Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded

Content-Length: 120

Authorization: Basic dXNlcjpwYXNzd29yZA==


And the phone responded with:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Content-Type: text/xml

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:35:37 GMT

Expires: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 00:00:00 GMT

Last-Modified: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:35:37 GMT

Pragma: no-cache

Content-Length: 193

Server: Allegro-Software-RomPager/4.20" Data="Success" Status="0" />

Hope this helps,

Best regards,

Chris Miron

Community Member

Re: CiscoIPPhoneError Number="0"


I am trying to push http post to cisco 7970 phone with my java code for Init:services, to clear IP phone, but getting error response.

My posting is :

POST /CGI/Execute HTTP/1.1

Connection: close


Authorization: Basic cHRjZTpwdGNlMTIz

Accept: */*

Content-Type: text/xml

Content-Length: 105


response from phone :

Error received from IP phone. Response is : HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Content-Type: text/xml; charset="utf-8"

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 11:20:01 GMT

Cache-Control: no-cache

Expires: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 00:00:00 GMT

Content-Length: 32

Server: Allegro-Software-RomPager/4.34

Connection: close

Can any one help me to solve this problem would be appreciated.



Re: CiscoIPPhoneError Number="0"

No need to open a case.. I already did and here's what Cisco told me. Error 0:

The error 0 usually means that something failed in the authentication

process. When the phone tries to check credentials, it post them to the

authentication URL. If the URL is bad, unreachable, returns an error, or

even no response, the 0 seems to show itself.

The order in which the authentication occurs is as follows.

- Post XML to phone.

- Phone post credentials to the Authentication URL

- Authentication URL response with Clear Text Messages (Authorized,

Un-Authorized, Error)

- The phone then responds to the Post with a CiscoIPPhoneResponse or

CiscoIPPhoneError as appropriate.

If the phone doesn't make a request to the authentication URL, make sure

it has a URL. If it has a host name, check for DNS messaging in the

trace. Also power cycling the phone will clear any cached credentials or

DNS resolutions. The phone will cache credentials when they are valid

and only recheck on mismatch with a subsequent request or timeout of the

cache entry.

Error 6:

This occur when you have to push more than

once to get the event to take. It is typically because the socket on the

first attempt was being closed by the push agent before the phone

completely finished the push request. The phone bails out of the

processing logic and returns error 6.

The work around for this is

The phone has to be power-cycle to recover from this condition

I kept getting a 0 despite all that but never found time to set up a sniffing session (not so easy across vlans with the hardware I have) and I ended up upgrading the phones and right now things appear to be working so I'll await the next time something fails before setting up a sniffer session and reopening the case.

CreatePlease to create content