Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

CM 3.3.2 upgrade warning

I just did my first 3.3 upgrade and thought it would be good to pass along my experience.

1. Follow the directions and know what you are doing before you start, if you do not prepare correctly, you will be screwed.

2. I installed the new STI backup, ran the backup and copied it to a network machine.

3. I ran the new install- be sure to choose "same server recovery"

4. When the OS install was done, I copied the STI file back to the local machine to do the Call Manager install. This was my fatal error. When the CM install ran it seemed to restore all of the info properly, SQL and DC Directory looked good, but none of the CM .EXE files were copied and the services were not registered.

When I ran the install again, and left the STI file on a network drive, it worked fine.

Moral of the story- Leave the STI file on the network drive, and access it via a UNC. Make sure your name resolution is working properly.

7 REPLIES

Re: CM 3.3.2 upgrade warning

Hi, I want to ask you something in order to clear something out.

Customer runs CM 3.2.2c and wants and upgrade to 3.3.3. I have the CDs for 3.3.2. The question is: After backing up MCS.sti and CDRs the wright procedure is to go to win-os-2000-2-3 and then to win-os-2000-2-5 then sql2k-sp.3.1-0-4.exe and then ciscocm-ffu.3-3-3.exe? Is there something between (e.g. do i have to go to 3.3.2 first) or i can do the upgrade directly?. I am asking you this because i found out that to install sql2k-sp.3.1-0-4.exe you must have:

OS Upgrade 2000-2-4 Service Release 3

Supported Cisco IP Telephony Application: Cisco CallManager release 3.3. This upgrade will not run on Cisco CallManager 3.0, 3.1 or 3.2, which uses Microsoft SQL 7.0.

Any help would be great

Thanks

Stef

Here are the steps to follow-

1. Install the latest STI backup (from the pub upgrade disk 1) and create a backup file. This is critical because 3.3 cannot read the older STI files. copy it to the network.

2. You cannot just "go to win-os-2000-2-3" You will be running a new install from the cds using 200-2-4. Your current C: drive will be wiped and re-imaged. The main reason for this is that SQL has moved from 7.0 to 2000. Be sure to pick same server recovery during the OS install, as this will keep the STI_DATA partition. 2000-2-4 is only availabe on the 3.3 install cds, not as an upgrade file.

3. At the end of the OS install you will be asked to install CM. Put in the CM cd and it will ask for the STI file (from above- keep it on the network).

You now have a functioning 3.3 system. You can add any patches that are necesary.

If all you have is the 3.3.2 CM CD I would install that and then upgrade to 3.3.3. While you do not have to go to 3.3.2 first, it will be easier for you unless you can get a 3.3.3 install cd, or extract the 3.3.3 .exe and create an install CD.

Ok, I just realized I gave you some bad info. I said that 2000-2-4 is only available on the 3.3 install CDs. That is incorrect, You can download and upgrade 2000-2-4. But it is really not necessary to do for you because the server is wiped and re-imaged with 2000-2-4 during the upgrade. The new Version of SQL is installed during the Call Manager install, and that is why you cannot upgrade directly from 3.2 to 3.3.

Hello,

1) OK (if i understood wright) I believe the best way is to take the backups, upgrade with the 3.3.2 disks that i have to os 2000-2-3. Then before installing cm 3.3.2, upgrade to 2000-2-4 and sql 3.1-0-4 and then run the ccm.exe file for 3.3.3. Afterwards (before recovering MCS and CDRs) there might no problem for patches/upgrades to os and sql. Do you believe it is this so?

2) Is it necessary in order to go to os 2000-2-5sr1 to go from 2000-2-3 to 2000-2-4 and then 2000-2-5?

Thanks

Stefanos

Forget the question number 2, i found out that cisco says direct upgrade is supported but i am not sure that i will follow this procedure. i will go step by step

stef

1. Make backups.

2. Run the install from the cds.

3. Install CM 3.3.2- You do not need to upgrade to 2000-2-4. CM 3.3.2 is supported on 2000-2-3. And you will not be able to run the sql3.1-0-4 because SQL is installed as part of the Call Manager Install, not the OS.

4. Upgrade to 2000-2-5 plus 2000-2-5sr1 and any other patches.

5. Upgrade to cm 3.3.3

Thanks very much

Stefanos

Views
Helpful
Replies