Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

CM AutoAttendant vs. Unity Call Handler

I'm a newbie at this, but here goes . . .<br><br>Could someone briefly explain the difference between the AutoAttendant that comes with Call Manager and the Call Handlers that can be configured in Unity? Then, to go one step further, when would CM's AA be used (or not used) over setting up Call Handlers in Unity?<br><br>

5 REPLIES
Gold

Re: CM AutoAttendant vs. Unity Call Handler

The CallManager AA is targeted at the customer that does not have a voicemail product that provides an AA feature. An example of such a voicemail product would be the end of lifed Cisco uOne.

If you have Unity you will not gain any functionality from the CallManager AA. If fact you will lose the tight and native integration that the Unity AA provides.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

Anonymous
N/A

So, when you say "Unity AA" you are meaning the "Unity Call Handler" functionality?

The issue that raised this question is:
The client would like all calls coming in to the building to get a person and not voice mail. How would you queue a call to "wait on a person", if all receptionists are on the phone?

Suppose two receptionists, A and B with five calls, 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. Call 1 goes to A, 2 to B and (we would like) 3, 4 and 5 to get a message saying "Please hold for the next available person". Then A and B would answer each as they become free. How would this be accomplished through Unity?

Anonymous
N/A

The question I raised:

"Suppose two receptionists, A and B with five calls, 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5. Call 1 goes to A, 2 to B and (we would like) 3, 4 and 5 to get a message saying "Please hold for the next available person". Then A and B would answer each as they become free. How would this be accomplished through Unity?"

. . . can not be done in Unity (per TAC), because the UM call handler has no capability for queuing for the next available extension. TAC indicated I need to buy ICD for CM.

Any input on this before I research, then recommend the client buy ICD if it fits their needs?

Gold

What you are talking about is Incoming Call Queuing functionality. TAC was correct, Unity is not designed to do this. You should check out the Cisco IP ICD product:

'When one or more agents are available, Cisco IP ICD immediately connects the caller to an agent. When an agent is not available, Cisco IP ICD queues the call in an FIFO queue. Up to 48 calls can be queued at one time.'

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

Anonymous
N/A

ICD to be proposed.

Background.
Note that in the setup process, I configured the handler to forward to an extension, ran tests. Once they were successful, I pointed the handler to a Pilot Point . . . that's when things got interesting.

Situation.
However, I did some testing with call handlers and noticed that things get real interesting when you forward a call handler to a Pilot Point (then subsequently to a Hunt Group). I tested all different scenarios and none seemed to have consistant results.

I tried:

A. Setting up a Hunt Group consisting of Web Attendant users only with the call handler to "Always hold". If all WA users were on the phone, the call handler would act as if it were transferring, never sense a busy and then just (for lack of a better way to describe it) lose the call. The incoming call was still connected, but it just "lost track" of it on the transfer.

B. Setting up a Hunt Group consisting of extension only (with no Call Waiting, CFB or CFNA extensions) with the call handler to "Always hold". If all extensions were on the phone, the call handler would sometimes act as if it were transferring, never sense a busy and then just (for lack of a better way to describe it) lose the call. Again, the incoming call was still connected, but it just "lost track" of it on the transfer. However, sometimes it would sense that all extensions were busy and put the incoming call on hold BUT whenever one of the extensions would end their call in progress, the handler would never release it back to the hunt group.

C. In addition, having a programming background, I tried altering about every condition for all sides of the equation and still couldn't get consistant positive results. At one point, the handler was reporting all hunt group extensions were busy. Stopping and starting Unity resolved that one . . .

When sending a call handler to a Pilot Point (then the pilot point handing off control to the Hunt Group which tries to hand off on an extension-by-extension, WA-by-WA or mix thereof basis), who is communicating with the handler during this process . . . the Pilot Point, the Hunt Group or each WA/extension as it goes through the process?

Any answers or ideas?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content