cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CM backup options

elliottbujan
Level 1
Level 1

What are my best options to backup CM 3.2 on a win2k server?

We are planning to buy veritas backup exec (MS exchange agent, MSSQL agent, Advcd open file option) for this purpose but I read about "Cisco IP Telephony Applications Backup Utility" could do a backup.

Elliott Bujan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I dont think any special agents are necessary, the CM backup is just saved as a file (mcs.sti). So just configure backup exec to backup the directory where this file resides.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

tim.medley
Level 2
Level 2

The only cisco supported backup solution for Call manager is the Cisco IP Telephony Backup Utility.

Using the CIPT Backup Utility, you can backup to tape or to a network share. If you wanted to use Veritas, you could have the CIPT Backup Utility backup to a network share on another server. Run Veritas on that other server and archive to what ever medium you want. Typically the only CCM Servers you need to backup are the CCM Publisher and any app servers such as IVR, CRA/CRS/IPCC Express, etc.

tm

Tim Medley, CWNA, CCDP, CCNP+Voice

Sr. Network Engineer

Corliant

So what you are telling me is that I can forget about installing Veritas on the CM server, use my existing copy of backup exec in my remote server, and save around $2k (for what it would cost me to install a veritas solution in the CM server)

What kind of Veritas agents do I need on the backup server?

Elliott Bujan

MIS/Rentokil, TPS

I dont think any special agents are necessary, the CM backup is just saved as a file (mcs.sti). So just configure backup exec to backup the directory where this file resides.

How about for unity? we have it in a separate server.

I forgot to mention this piece. The idea was to install Veritas on the unity server, use the backup utility to backup cm to the unity server and backup unity (with Veritas) to my original backup server.

Not applicable

Hi,

could you tellme where I can I find the Cisco IP Telephony Backup Utility??

thanks in advance.

This is a good start

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/prod_installation_guide09186a0080189ee7.html#20373

from there it'll tell you where to go.

Elliott Bujan

MIS/Suppport

Rentokil, TPS