cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CM Publishers for Call Processing?

jneiberger
Level 2
Level 2

I know the recommendation is to avoid using the publisher to process calls, but I'm wondering if any of you are using the publisher for call processing and if you've noticed any performance issues because of it.

John

2 Replies 2

mshavrov
Level 1
Level 1

It's possible to use the Publisher for a call processing. We have three servers in the cluster, and all phones have 3 CallManagers in their group: Subscriber 1, Subscriber 2, and Publisher. So, if both subscribers will be taken offline, the Publisher will do call processing. When it could happen? Best example - CallManager upgrades. If you upgrade CallManager software, you may loose the communication between phones, registered to "upgraded" and "not-upgraded" CallManagers. So, you upgrade the Publisher, then shutdown one Subscriber, and upgrade another one. Everybody registered to the Publisher. When upgrade is done, phones are re-registering to "upgraded" Subscriber and you can upgrade another one. Sure, it's better to do it off-hours.

Good luck,

Michael

http://www.ciscoheadsetadapter.com

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

John,

I have a few customers, due to budget constraints are using just one callmanager server (so it has to be a publisher). There is no redundancy in this case, but yes definitely you can use Publisher for both TFTP and processing calls. If using CM 4.x its recommended that you have atleast 2 gigs of ram.

HTH

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus