cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CM3.0 & UM2.46 upgrade

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

We have customers ready to upgrade from CM3.0(11) & Unity 2.46(1.35) to CM 3.1(2C) and UM (3.0?.<br><br>I would like to test this in our lab first.<br>It consists of 7835 with CM3.0(11)<br>and Compaq 6000 with UM 2.46(1.35) - exchange 5.5 enterprise<br><br>CM is in workgroup (Callmanager)<br>UM is in Domain (Unity)<br>DHCP is on separate server (in Callmanager w/g)<br>DNS on separate server (in Callmanager w/g)<br><br><br>My question is, what is the best way to approach this,<br>Do I setup another W2K DC for authentication<br>then join CM and Unity to this domain<br>install E2K on separte member server ...<br><br>the outcome is clients access Exchange 2000 for voice, email<br>and faxes (unified messaging), currently only voicemail on<br>Exchange 5.5 box (on UM server)<br><br>As the first customer to upgrade is running a existing 2000 domain (dom1 for example) with exchange 2000 (current mail server)<br><br>The callmanagers (pub and sub) are in workgroup (callmgr)<br>and the Unity box in own domain (unity), which is a DC (only DC in unity domain).<br>They want to have their existing Exchange 2000 server(in dom1)to be their unified messaging server.<br><br>FYI - Security is always an issue<br><br>any info would be greatly appreciated<br><br><br><br>

7 Replies 7

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

I am not completely sure what you are trying to do. Are you trying to go from POV to UM in the upgrade process? i.e. you have stand alone Unity now and you want to integrate it with the customers existing Exchange infrastructure?

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

Not applicable

Yes, we are trying to go from VM (standalone voice mail)to Unified messaging.
Their existing Unity server is running the exchange 5.5 that came with Unity set of CD's. (run time version? - appears to look like full version with Unity peices added)

My understanding is that Unity 3.0 still needs E2K run time
version installed on Unity box, but Information store (mail boxes)is keep on the corporate E2K server (existing mail server).

In this case would you use Xmerge to peel out existing mailbox [voicemail] info to a .PST file, then re-install
Unity 3.0 (pointing to corporate email server)via E2k run-time version (like Msmq) and then push voice mail (from .pst file) to corporate email server once unified messaging is setup?

looking for steps of how to do this
Also, Unity must be upgraded first before Callmanager?

The CallManager upgrade has nothing to do with the Unity upgrade. You can upgrade it before or after or even in the middle. It does not matter.

If you are installing Unity in an existing Exchange network you do not want to install Exchange on the Unity server. All you need to install are the Exchange Admin Tools on the Unity server. The Exchange Admin Tools allow Unity to communicate with Exchange via MAPI.

So this is what I would do:

-Run the Full Database Export on the Unity server.

-Run exmerge to create the PST files (to backup mail) and then wipe the Unity box clean.

-Do a fresh 3.0 install and during Setup Part Two point it to the customers existing Exchange server(s).

Make sure the customer pays for the upgrade from POV to UM.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

Not applicable

Thanks for you input
Since the corporate domain (dom1) is different from the existing unity box domain(unity); I guess since we are doing a fresh install of unity 3 that this box will now join this corporate domain as a member server or does it still have to be a DC. They already have multiple DC's in existing corporate domain. Their existing E2K (in dom1) is a member server of dom1. I am not to partial to install applications (especially heavily used ones) on DC's.

Also, is it recommended to keep the Callmanager (3.1.2c) in it's own workgroup or join the corporate domain as a member server?

Again security is always an issue, but want it to function 100% - as one expects from their phone system.

Thanks again

We (Cisco) don't really recommend putting CallManager in a domain or keeping it in a workgroup. It is really up to the customer. I don't know of any disadvantages of adding it to a domain. I put the CallManager at my home in our domain so that I can use my domain admin account to administer it.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

Not applicable

One more quick thing - for our lab itself (Unity)
we are using the demo version (2 sessions, 5 users) until our actual unity package arrives (mid Novemeber?)

Is their any issues of upgrading from 2.46(1.35) to 3.02 as a demo version - I thought I read somewhere that it wasn't supported ?? Mind you, since we really do fresh install and restoring data from old - not really an upgrade ...

Plus is their any problems adding the licencing to a demo version ??? I know some products allow you to run in demo then add licensing and others make you re-install for licensed product...

any thoughts
thanks

Not supported with the demo version means that if you try to call TAC you are going to get shut down. We have this policy since you don't have a support contract and haven't paid for Unity. You can always get help on the forum.

You can do upgrades in the lab to your hearts content with the demo versions and it should work fine.

Check out this URL for converting the system:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/unity30/rel_note/cu302_rn.htm#xtocid719689

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com