Trying to setup CME TSP on PC to be able to dial from Outlook contacts. I am able to install the software and go through the setup guide. I enter my username and password and the system finds me and my extensions.
When I go into Outlook and try to dial a phone number it gives me this error message: "Another program is using the selected telephony device. Try again after the other program is finished."
Under Dialing Options and Connect using line, I selected the "Cisco CME Telephone Service Provider"
I have tried getting this to work on several PCs in several different CME situations.
What version of CME are you running? I don't have a solution to this, but have had the same problem myself. It seems to have broken in CME 4.0 (under IOS 12.4(6)T from memory) - it worked fine in CME 3.4.
Upgrading to a newer version of TSP didn't make a difference.
Due to lack of time and since it's a low priority, I haven't done any real troubleshooting on this. If I find time in the next week I'll try to get it working and post more info.
I've solved this problem. While going through the Cisco Unified CME TSP Setup Wizard on "User Preferences" page select "Connect to IP Phone on Windows startup" instead of "Connect to IP Phone on application start (recomended)".
Truly speaking after the solution has been found I discover the same advice in "Cisco CME TSP Installation and Setup Guide.pdf".
These are the paths to get to each CCX logs through CLI. They may be helpful if you are having issues accessing RTMT or downloading logs through it.
If you want to download them you have to prefix "file get " and you can add one of the options (re...