Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CME Paging to Phones and to Overhead system at the Same time.

Hello, I have CME running with the IP phone paging feature setup in one paging group and I also have a FXS port interfaced into a Bogen TAMB for overhead paging. Is there any way that I can have both these paging functions in the same group. So it's just one number to page both overhead and to IP Phones?

Thanks Ryan

11 REPLIES

Re: CME Paging to Phones and to Overhead system at the Same time

Ryan,

I doubt if this will work. I could be wrong.

Restrictions on paging is that you cannot assign a paging ephone-dn to a ephone's button. If you look at it this way, ephone-dns are defined as EFXS. I would assume the same applies to a regular FXS port.

Also, I tried this on a CME voip dial-peer.

Phones----CME------ethernet------R1--FXS--Analog fone

CME was configured for paging on pilot 4444. I also configured a voip dial-peer on CME router to match 4444 and send the call as a voip call to R1. R1 has an FXS port with destination pattern configured as 4444. The FXS port has a analog phone connected.

When I dial 4444 on CME side, only paging works. It does not even hit the dial-peer.

You would probably think, why i didnt put the FXS vic on the CME router and test it that way. My CME router is a 2800, R1 is a 2600 with NM-1V and VIC-2FXS. VIC-2FXS does not work on a 2800, so I could only test this across a vOIP call.

So my conclusion is that this may not work. Its probably worth a try if you have the gear.

Sankar.

PS: please remember to rate posts!

My thoughts are perhaps testing this with an ATA, adding the ATA to the same paging group as the IP Phones. Has anybody ever tried this, or come across this problem before?

ephone-dn 1

name Paging phones

number 4444

paging ip 239.1.1.1 port 2000

ephone-dn 2

name Paging overhead

number 5555

paging ip 239.1.1.2 port 2000

ephone-dn 3

combined paging

number 6666

paging ip 239.1.1.3 port 2000

paging group 1,2

ephone-dn 4

number 2000

ephone-dn 5

number 2001

ephone-dn 6

number 2002

ephone 1

type 7960

button 1:4

paging-dn 1

ephone 2

type 7940

button 1:5

paging-dn 1

ephone 3

type ata

button 1:6

paging-dn 3

When you dial 6666, You should be paging into the ATA as well as the rest of the phones.

Hope the above example makes sense

Sankar

PS: Please remember to rate posts!

Does this actually work? I don't have an ATA to test this on. What happens when you dial 6666, does the ATA phone ring? The CME paging function actually brings all speaker capbable phones off hook, just wanted to know how the ATA would do this?

Ryan

I have not tested this. Thats just an idea that I came up with.

Sankar.

My thoughts are that this will not work because the ata does not have a speaker. I don't believe the paging feature actually calls the devices I think it may just bring them off-hook to listen to the multicast stream. I will try to track down an ATA to test this with.

Ryan

I do not see how this could work either. Even if it did try to go to the ata it would just ring and something would have to answer it. This would have a better chance of working if somehow it could be steered to an fxo or e&m instead.

Well, in the case of the Bogen TAMB device I'm using to interface to the overhead system, I a currently interfacing to this with a FXS port. How it works is that I have a dial peer pointed to that port and it detects a RING tone and goes off hook so that we can page overhead. But if I used an ATA instead and put it in a paging group does it actually ring the extension assigned to the ATA or does it try to do something else. I'll have to track down an ATA to try.

It doesn't work, we tried. You can put an ATA's port into a paging group (with the paging-dn ephone command), but:

1) It's not a call, so the line doesn't ring when the paging extension is called, and a ring-down interface like the TAMB will never detect ring voltage and open an audio path to the paging system,

2) Even if you take the line off-hook during a page, there is no audio. No dialtone, either, just silence.

We ended up drilling a hole in a 7905G and installing a mono audio jack wired to the phone's loudspeaker circuit and hooked it into the paging system's amp through a speaker-level-to-line-level audio converter (because it's preamped coming out of the speaker circuit). This turned out to be a cleaner solution anyway. We're able to power the 7905G with PoE (can't do that with an ATA) and it looks like any other IP phone to CME, so we were able to put it in the same paging group as all the other IP phones. As an added bonus, because the phone's ring tone is ordinarily played through the loudspeaker, we were able to use it to play the night-bell through the overhead PA without an external ring tone generator.

Correct me if I am wrong, but with the ATA you could have had a "shared line appearance" that shared the same DN as the paging DN? Or "overlayed" the DN on the ATA with the paging DN?

You can't assign a paging DN to a button. If you try, you'll see the error message:

"Can't associate paging dn XX to button Y"

Likewise, you can't add the "paging" configuration keyword to any ephone-dn that is already assigned (or overlaid onto) a button.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content