cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CNN Weather service from SDK

rrowe
Level 1
Level 1

Looks like the hard coded urls have moved. Anyone have an update?

Thanks, Rick

Here service retrieves the weather information from CNN weather website http://weather.cnnaudience.com/cgi-bin/weather/redirect for given city zip code. If user provides city name and state then corresponding city zip code is obtained from website http://generalsearch.com/AreaCode/index.php.

12 Replies 12

chilldill
Level 1
Level 1

It looks like the new page is here:

http://weather.cnn.com/weather/search?wsearch=72712

Where the wsearch is the zip code. But, if they changed the location, they may have changed the page layout as well. I have not tried the weather app, but if they changed the page layout then your service may not work anymore. You may have to play with it to get it pulling the correct information.

Matt

Tried the link and getting either forcast or current conditions seems to break it. The new format will take time to decode. I dont know about the city lookup part.

Thanks, Rick

Has anyone had any luck with this...i edited most of the asp pages just to have lookup by zip, and changed the URL to the one above but using the phone services emulator it still is broken. Has anyone decoded the page layout?

I just got my version working. I hate that I didn't have the original format to go on, but I made it. It seems like a hack, but it works. The forecast data on CNN's site doesn't have a text field for the condition, so I was only able to grab temps, but maybe with a little more work something could be worked out. This version is still messy, but I wanted to get it up here to help out as many as I could.

First of all - Thank you for your file.

I do have a question though. I replaced the original weather.asp file with your's. I select the service and enter my zip - then the cnn screen comes up and the I get "Authorization Required" and it wants a username and password. I have tried every different username/password I can think of, but it doesn't work. Any chance you know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

As far as I can tell there is nothing in the weather.asp code that could cause that type of authorization request. Can you troubleshoot as to where the authorization request is coming from, i.e. your server or cnn.com? If it is your server is it coming from weather.asp or is the folder that weather.asp is located in password protected?

Could someone please re-post this sample file? Thanks!

I second the request.

I'll throw my request in as well.

If anyone could repost that would be great!

I'll throw my request in as well.

If anyone could repost that would be great!

Can you re-post the file please.

Can someone please post a simple asp script to display weather for a predifined zip code?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: