cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Codec problem with one gateway

bgibson
Level 1
Level 1

I am having a very strange problem with one of my gateways. No matter how I set up my regions and device pools I continue to have all calls go through this gateway as G729. This would be fine except that I can't do conference calls because of codec mismatches.

The gateway is a PRI running H323. CM 3.2.2(c) Gateway is a 3640 running 12.2.11(t)

All regions are currently set to G711.

I read something about a command under voice-port that sets the default codec. What I don't understand is, if this is what is causing it to go to G729, why is this the only gateway that ignores the regions.

Any help would be appreciated.

3 Replies 3

marinaibm
Level 4
Level 4

Cisco VoIP gateways support the codec negotiation feature. This feature provides the ability for a Cisco VoIP gateway to connect to other VoIP devices without necessarily knowing which codec is used for a call-setup. Also, this feature allows Cisco VoIP gateways to dynamically adjust to changes on remote devices. As long as the codec used by the remote VoIP device matches the capabilities-list of the Cisco VoIP gateway, the VoIP call is completed.

The following example shows how to configure codec negotiation:

Cisco-router# config t

Cisco-router(config)# voice class codec 1

!--- This sets up class 1 to be assigned to the dial peer.

Cisco-router(config-class)#codec preference 1 g723r63

Cisco-router(config-class)#codec preference 2 g729ar8

Cisco-router(config-class)#codec preference 3 g711ulaw

Cisco-router(config-class)#codec preference 4 g726r32 bytes 240

!--- These commands define the preferred codec list using 1,2,3, and 4 to set the preference.

Cisco-router(config)#dial-peer voice 1 voip

Cisco-router(config-dial-peer)#voice-class codec 1

!--- This assigns voice-class codec 1 to the dial-peer

Cisco-router(config-dial-peer)#destination-pattern 4723155

Cisco-router(config-dial-peer)#session target ipv4:192.168.100.1

Thanks for the response.

I'm familiar with the voice class command. However you can't assign a codec to an outbound dial-peer. I was under the impression that the CM was supposed to determine the appropriate codec.

I was under the same impression about outgoing dial-peer. However, it appears that CME uses the outgoing dial-peer (the one that cme uses to reach a device on callmanager) in call setup for calls from callmanger devices to the gateway in determining what codec to use.

You would need to use the voice-class codec command(s) on the same dial-peer that cme uses to reach the devices for a call from PSTN to a callmanager device.

Example:

voice class codec 1

codec preference 1 g711ulaw

codec preference 2 g729r8

codec preference 3 g729br8

dial-peer voice 100 voip

destination-pattern 5....

voice-class codec 1

session-target ipv4:10.1.1.1

dtmf-relay h245-alphanumeric

a call from extension 55555 -> gateway -> pstn should now be able to negotiate g729 as long as regions are set up correctly. You wouldn't think that this outgoing dial-peer would come into play on an incoming call (cme perspective), but it does.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: