Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Codec Translation

OK. I have Unity 2.4.6.126, CM 3.0(10) each running on a MCS-7835. Within CM I have each region (different locations on the WAN) to talk to Unity via g.711 If I change this setting to g.729 none of the OGM's play to the caller from the PSTN. Further, Users cannot listen to their messages internally on a standard media player such as WMP. The problem with this is that when messages are then forwarded to people external to the company, they cannot hear the message either. I know that Unity is supposed to xlate codec on the fly. Is there any paper on how to put this translation in place? Thanks, Ross<br><br><br>

4 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Codec Translation

The first thing to check is to make sure that the G.729 codec is properly installed and configured. If it is, there will be an event written to the application event log saying that G.729 is enabled. if you do not see that event, check out the G.729 troubleshooting tips here:

http://avforums.isomedia.com/cgi-bin/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=ipswitch&Number=2457&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5

What's really important is the TSP version. We saw some codec translation problems with TSP ver 32. For details about that, go here:

http://avforums.isomedia.com/cgi-bin/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=ipswitch&Number=4258&page=1&view=expanded&sb=5

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Anonymous
N/A

Well, I checked and everything is as it should have been. Upon your recommendation to check the TSP (it was 1.0(0.32)), I upgraded to 1.0(0.36). For my combination it also said that I had to go to Unity 2.4(6.135), which I did. Everything upgraded as expected, no problems. I rebooted everything (Unity, CM's, and Phones (in that order)), upon successful installation. I then changed San Jose to speak to Unity over the WAN via g.729. No workie. Changing it back to g.711, works just fine. I checked the gateway (VG-200) and it is set to have calls determine codec, as required, to g.711ulaw or g.729r8. Any other suggestions? Thanks again.

Anonymous
N/A

Sounds like the GW dial-peers have a voice class with a codec preference? If that is case, I wonder if just for grins, there is no voice class with a codec preference and the GW dial-peer in question says that it can do ONLY G.729r8. Can you set that up and test? I can try it in the lab, but you might be able to beat me to it.

I'd venture to say that the reason why the OGM's aren't heard (granted, they should be) has to due with the fact that that default recording format in Unity is G.711. Sounds like you have installed G.729 quiet prompts (that's why those are heared?) Can those callers across the G.729 WAN hear system prompts? If you stick an IP phone into a G.729 only region, does the same problem with OGMs happen?

There is a utility in the \Commserver\Utilities folder that can change the default record format. I can't remember the exact name of the EXE, but I can post it when I get in the office tomorrow (you can probably figure out which program it is). If you temporarily change the record format to G.729, restart Unity and re-record a subscriber's greeting, you'd probably hear it. I'm not saying that's the solution, it's just a test.

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Anonymous
N/A

The name of the utility you're thinking of is "SetRecordFormat.EXE". I think you have to restart Unity to get the change to take effect as well.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Views
Helpful
Replies