Views
Helpful
Replies

Codecs question

msulieman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I know that G.729 is suitable in WAN links for BW savings, but what if I'm using the G.711 on a high bandwidth WAN link, and I need a method when for example when (X) concurrent calls happen the next call should change its codec based on sender and receiver ip phones to G.729, is there such method on CCM or GW/GK to achieve this?

thanks

4 Replies 4

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

if you use a gatekeeper to route between two clusters, you can do this using multiple route groups and trunks (one set to g711 and other set to g729). If the phones are all on the same cluster, then you can limit the calls by location bandwidth. and the type of codec (bandwidth per call) will be determined by the region setting. When the location bandwidth limit is reached, you can trigger AAR to dial over pstn.

HTH

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

p.s correct me if I'm wrong, as I understood from ur answer that over IP WAN (VoIP calls) with the same cluster it is not possible to change from one codec automatically to another if limit is exceeded, I just have the option to reroute to pstn via AAR

is this right?

Thats correct.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

many thanks for,

your answers indeed are extremely helpful

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: