Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Conference between ip phone on lan and wan

Hi,

Can we have a conference call between two ip phones connected on lan using G711 codec and two ip phones on Wan using G729 codec. I have doubt that who will do the codec conversion can the MCS box do it or do we need to install a router or some device to do this?

Also I need one more clarification, what if the phones on lan are behind a ATA Box, and still I want to do a conference call, can MCS box handle this too.

Thanks and Regards

Salim

3 REPLIES

Re: Conference between ip phone on lan and wan

The CallManager server itself will not perform the transcoding. You will need DSP resources, either a port on a 6608 blade or a DSP farm in an IOS device, to provide transcoding between g711 and g729 devices.

Hi robrhodes,

To work around this problem can we use G729 codec on lan, if all the codec's are same then there will not be any transcoding.

Unfortunately, g711 is the only codec supported by the native callmanager conference software....what other hardware do you have in your environment that could be used for transcoding? If you don't have the DSP resources, you may have to use g711 across the WAN.

Views
Helpful
Replies