Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Configuration Setup fails

I am installing a Unity demo in my lab and am having some trouble with the Configuration Setup. I have two servers (if you can call them that):<br><br>The lab server is running W2K, AD and exchange 5.5 (that came with Unity).<br><br>On the other one I am trying to finish installing Unity 3.0.2 (I wanted to install 3.0.3 but the SQL SP1 from the file "SQL2KDeskSP1.exe" that I downloaded from MS failed so I went back to 3.0.2).<br><br>Everything seems fine until I run the configuration setup. I enter the labserver name and 1222 for the port I chose (yes I changed the port in Exchange and rebooted), click next to get to the login screen, type the password for administator (I'm using administator account for everything since it's for the lab) and it claims the password is invalid. I checked that administrator has the right to "act as the operating system" and can "logon as a service."<br><br>This isn't a priority so I've been banging my head for a hours and give up. I'm sure I'm missing something simple so I appreciate if someone could help me get back on track. Thanks in advance.<br><br>

19 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Configuration Setup fails

You need to make sure the rights are 'effective' on the local box. If there is a domain policy in effect it could override the local settings. I'm guessing Unity is not a domain controller, if it is then the rights should be set in Domain Controller Policy rather than Local Policy.

If you look at 'Local Group Policy' on the Unity box you should see Local Setting and Effective Setting. Make sure the user you are installing with is listed under Effective for those two rights.

I have seen cases where the group policy settings get corrupted, so the rights that appear to be set really aren't taking effect. You'll see some errors in the event log if this is the case (check both the DC and Unity server). I might have some ideas on how to clean this up if it is the case.

You are correct. No user was listed under "logon as a service" or "act as the operating system" so I put administrator in both of them for Local policy settings. The Effective policy settings were grayed out for those two. I'll reboot and see if it works. Thank you.

That worked! Any idea why I can't install SQL 2000 SP1 so I can install 3.0.3? Thanks for your help.

Anonymous
N/A

Do you have MSDE on you Unity system?

If so, you need to run the SP1 setup from the command line:
setup.exe /p SQLRUN

If your are not running MSDE it must be some other failure. What's the error you're getting?

I tried running it from the command line as you suggested (from within the ...msde\setup directory) but I get the message:

"The feature you are trying to use is on a CDROM or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the 'Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine' disk and click OK."

When I click cancel I get a message stating that "..an installation package could not be found."

The file it's looking for is "SqlRun01.msi." I searched the for SqlRun01.* and found SqlRun01.msp under ...\msde\setup but no .msi files. I believe this is the same thing that happened when I tried to install it before without the command line arguments. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Anonymous
N/A

I got the same error msg when i try to install SP1. How did you resolve this?

Systems Engineer

It turns out that SP1 needs the original software available to be able to install the patch. I stuck the Data Store 2000 disk in the drive and everything went fine. Good luck.

Anonymous
N/A

I extracted the service pack and ran setup from the command prompt with the datastore cd in the drive and I receieve the following error message:
"The Product is not installed for the current user"
after clicking "ok", I get this message:
"Could not find the package to install on the installation media."

I am trying to upgrade to Unity 3.1(2) from 3.0.2.

Any suggestions?

Hmm.. That doesn't look like the same error I got but similar. I don't recall getting the first part of the error about "..not installed for the current user." Are you logged in as the same user that you installed MSDE for originally? I used the administrator login for everything but mine is in the lab.

The following two things got it going for me:

1) Use the commmand line from the MSDE directory to run setup:

setup /p SQLRUN

2) Make sure the Data Store 2000 CD is in the drive. If it still can't find it the I suppose you could browse to the directory "\MSDE\Setup" and click OK. I believe the file it's looking for is SqlRun01.msi.

Let me know if that helps.

Anonymous
N/A

Here are the details of the setup:

the server is a domain controller without any other servers in the domain. there is only one account (the default administrator account) so, I couldn't have installed it with another account. (unless I installed it before running dcpromo...I dont know if i did). even then, how can I remove MSDE and reinstall it? I have the CD in the drive but it hasnt asked me for it.

So, I just tried to specify it directly from the command prompt using the /i switch. If I do that, I don't get the invalid user error, but I get the error "This installation package cannot be opened...."

ashish

I'm not sure why you are having the problems that you're having. Was 3.0.2 running fine before? Is it working now? You didn't happen to rename the Unity server did you?

Anonymous
N/A

the equipment is still in staging. Its not in production yet. So, I had 3.0.2 installed a week ago, but then I found out that 3.1(2) was out so decided to upgrade to that. I have a case open with Cisco and they haven't gotten back to me about it yet. It looks like I'm gonna have to start all over.

ashish

I am using MSDE but didn't know about the command line argument. I try that and get back to you. Thanks again.

OK, I'm a loser... apparently you need to have the original files that were used to install MSDE available for the patch to install. So I stuck the Data Store 2000 disk in the drive and everything went fine. Thanks again and have a good weekend.

Anonymous
N/A

hey, hey, hey... no one's a loser out here... repeat after me, "I'm good enough, smart enough, and darn it, people like me."

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

SNL fan I see. Thanks for the laugh!

I have double checked this and everything looks like it is okay with the effective setting. However when trying to run conf setup I still get the invalid username/password error. Any other suggestions?

Sean Young
Telecommunications Sr. Analyst

Anonymous
N/A

If from the local box you can see that 'Act as part of the OS' and 'Log on as a service' are effective, then it should work.
I have seen cases where the security policy can be corrupted, do you see any errors on the Unity machine or the domain controller related to group-policy not being applied?

I am having the same problem. However, I am running Exchange 2K and AD on the same box. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Brian

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content