Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Configuring CME to new PRI T1

Greetings, I have a brand new CME system running on a 2851 router. Our telco has just installed our new fractional (12 trunks) PRI T1, and the switch on the telco side is the "North American" variety.

I was hoping someone could post the configuration I would need to at least get the CME talking over the T1; it is plugged in, but the telco said that the D-channel isn't seeing what it wants to.

In the config, the reference to the T1 says:

controller T1 0/0/0

shutdown

framing esf

linecode b8zs

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help get me going.

Thanks,

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Configuring CME to new PRI T1

So, the inbound and outbound dial-peers I was referring to still need to be done, and aligned with your dial-plan. Without them, you won't make any calls on the PRI even if it is up.

Working out a dial-plan design discussion might be beyond what you can accomplish in a NetPro thread. But if you keep it high level, or are looking for config examples, you'll probably find some help here.

So in terms of your config, here's what's keeping from dial-tone:

controller T1 0/0/0

shutdown

framing esf

linecode b8zs

pri-group timeslots 12,24 < here, you have b-channel 12, and d-channel 24 allocated as what constitutes this PRI. You will always need the d-channel for a PRI, so the 24 doesn't change. If you want to allocate the first 12 b-channels, the command is "pri-group timeslots 1-12,24". And if you want to use the last 12 b-channels, the command is "pri-group timeslots 11-24" or just 3-5, then "pri-group timeslots 3-5,24" .... You get the idea.

!

!

interface Serial0/0/0:23

no ip address

isdn switch-type primary-dms100

isdn incoming-voice voice

no cdp enable

!

After making the changes, there are several commands that are your friend for troubleshooting:

debug isdn q931

show isdn status

Use these to verify that the circuit is up and trying to send/receive calls.

debug isdn q931

show isdn history

debug voip dialpeer all

show call active voice

Use these to figure out where the call is going.

Michael

12 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

on the controller t1, do no shut. If that does not work, then do show controller t1 0/0/0 and sh isdn status. The other thing missing is isdn switch type (which can values of primary-ni, primary-4ess and so on.). Telco has to tell you what type.

Assuming you are using channels 1-12 on the PRI. You'll need to adjust the pri-group command if your config is different.

This rudimentary config should make it such that you can dial outside by first dialing a 9 and receive DID calls to your ip phone.

If all you want is to bring up the PRI, ignore the dhcp, ntp, dial-peer, and telephony service parts.

isdn switch-type primary-ni

network-clock participate slot 0

ip dhcp exclude

ip dhcp pool voice

network a.b.c.d /xx

option 150 ip a.b.c.x

default-router a.b.c.x

ntp server w.x.y.z < point this to a time server. if none are available use "ntp master" instead>

controller t1 0/0/0

framing esf

line b8zs

pri-group timeslots 1-12

no shut

int ser0/0/0:23

no shut

dial-peer voice 10 pots

incoming called .T

destination-pattern 9.T

direct-inward dial

port 0/0/0:23

telephony-service setup

You'll need to know the gateway's IP address where the phones will register, (accept port 2000), voicemail phone number or extension, how many phones will register, and the first extension.

Let me know if this helps by rating the post.

Michael

Community Member

Thank you both for your replies. Michael, here is my existing config (Minus multiple ephones and ephone-dn's); I wanted you to see it before I modified it. If you still think it looks OK, I'll go ahead with the modifications that you proposed. Please feel free to comment on any other issues you see here!

Please note that although there are currently (2) 4-port FXO cards installed in the router, and there are line appearance set up in the config, these have never been used. For the last two weeks we have only been using the system for intercomming and voice mail, but have not had dial tone up to this point. The line appearances as they appear in the config will go away.

Michael A.

So, the inbound and outbound dial-peers I was referring to still need to be done, and aligned with your dial-plan. Without them, you won't make any calls on the PRI even if it is up.

Working out a dial-plan design discussion might be beyond what you can accomplish in a NetPro thread. But if you keep it high level, or are looking for config examples, you'll probably find some help here.

So in terms of your config, here's what's keeping from dial-tone:

controller T1 0/0/0

shutdown

framing esf

linecode b8zs

pri-group timeslots 12,24 < here, you have b-channel 12, and d-channel 24 allocated as what constitutes this PRI. You will always need the d-channel for a PRI, so the 24 doesn't change. If you want to allocate the first 12 b-channels, the command is "pri-group timeslots 1-12,24". And if you want to use the last 12 b-channels, the command is "pri-group timeslots 11-24" or just 3-5, then "pri-group timeslots 3-5,24" .... You get the idea.

!

!

interface Serial0/0/0:23

no ip address

isdn switch-type primary-dms100

isdn incoming-voice voice

no cdp enable

!

After making the changes, there are several commands that are your friend for troubleshooting:

debug isdn q931

show isdn status

Use these to verify that the circuit is up and trying to send/receive calls.

debug isdn q931

show isdn history

debug voip dialpeer all

show call active voice

Use these to figure out where the call is going.

Michael

Community Member

Thanks Michael, this is awesome! I was hoping I'd find someone that really knew what to say. I'll work on it this evening, and post the results after.

Thanks again!!!

Great! Glad I could help.

I look forward to hearing how it goes...

Michael

Community Member

Michael, thanks! The telco now says that they can see my system, verify that all 11 trunks are present, but idle; and that they are seeing what they want to see on the D-Channel. When he attempts to make a call to my extension however (451-3809) he gets an error message back saying circuit is busy or unavailable. I know that this has something to do my own config and dialing plan??

Where would you suggest I go from here?

Thanks again for the help.

Hi Michael,

All they can really verify is that you have an active D-channel, and that they have configured 11 b-channels that are idle. However, CME is configured for 1 B-channel (12) and 1 D-channel (24). So you are likely getting the messages because CME and the Telco can't agree on an available B-channel.

So for starters, change:

controller T1 0/0/0

framing esf

linecode b8zs

pri-group timeslots 12,24

to:

controller T1 0/0/0

framing esf

linecode b8zs

pri-group timeslots 1-11,24

Of course, this doesn't preclude dial plan issues. But you've got to get the circuit working as expected before you move up the stack to call flow.

In terms of dial-plan, your config assumes a 10-digit DNIS coming for each DID. Is this the case? You can verify with "debug isdn q931" while placing an inbound call to your DID. The debug will show "called number" that is the DNIS CME is seeing. Once you have that we can walk the call through the config and see where it takes us.

Let me know how it goes.

Community Member

Thanks again for your help.

When I get to the part where I edit the "pri-group" line, after entering the new line I get the message "Voice interface must be shutdown before updating configuration".

I did find in the config what interface was used for the voice traffic (interface GigabitEthernet0/0.2) and did a 'shutdown' on it, but the message still persisted after I did this. I'm guessing that was not what the message was referring to. Any ideas?

Thanks!

From enable mode, paste the following:

config t

voice-port 0/0/0:23

shut

controller T1 0/0/0

no pri-group timeslots 12,24

pri-group timeslots 1-11,24

voice-port 0/0/0:23

no shut

end

wr mem

Community Member

Michael, I have been making and recieving calls to the individual DID's now for several days, and everything is going well. THANKS for you excellent help.

Our company has 3 numbers that have been published for years, and that the telco is going to 'ride' onto our new span. The numbers are 474-0061, -0062, and -0063. While I do have a specific (not too complex, I would think) arrangement in mind of I how I would like certain numbers to ring to certain instruments at certain times, for now I would definitely settle for just getting the numbers to ring to the all of the phones. Is this something you could assist me with?

Community Member

Textbook perfect help. Although, my issues were a little different, your clear and unambiguous instrcutions and examples (including the debug/troubleshooting) commands on this topic make for very good reading Michael. Thank you very much.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content