cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring G729

joel
Level 1
Level 1

I have a CCM5.1 (pub + 1 sub) cluster and Unity connection in site A with H323 gateway and in site B I have an H323 gateway and phones.

The link is a frame relay link.

I am trying to configure G729 codec between site A and site B.

Can someone give me some guidelines please?

My plan is to

1) configure Regions for Site A, Site B and Unity and configure them to do G729 between each other.

2) configure Unity to do G729 which I haven't figured out how.

3) I am not sure if I have to do anything on the H323 gateways.

Thanks

Joel

3 Replies 3

allan.thomas
Level 8
Level 8

Your main concern with using different codecs between regions are transcoding resources, especially if you want to enable Unity Connection for G729.

However it is my understanding that Unity Connection can support multiple codecs and avoid transcoding. I have included a couple of CCO links which have good indepth explaination on these topics.

1) The following link provides goods explanation regarding the relationship and configuration between regions and device pools.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a008055ccca.html#wp1020393

Essentially you need to create three separate regions REG_A, REG_B and REG_Unity.

REG_A should be configured to use G711 within its own region and between REG_Unity. Select G729 between REG_A and between REG_B.

REG_B should be configured to use G711 within its own region, and select G729 between REG_A and REG_UNITY

REG_UNITY should be configured to use G711 within its own region and REG_A. G729 should be selected between REG_B and REG_Unity.

The endpoint or devices associated or located at each site will need to be assigned to a specific device pool which will then determine which codec to use been regions.

For example create individual device pools for each site, DP_A, DP_B and DP_Unity and assign the previously configured regions to the respective DP.

Further more this setup will allow you to specify a different location for CAC between site A and site B.

2) To Change the Audio Format That Cisco Unity Connection Uses for Calls

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 In Cisco Unity Connection Administration, expand Telephony Integrations, then click Port Group.

Step 2 On the Search Port Groups page, click the port group that belongs to the phone system integration for which you want to change the audio format of the media stream.

Step 3 On the Port Group Basics page, on the Edit menu, click Codec Advertising.

Step 4 On the Edit Codec Advertising page, click the up and down arrows to change the order of the codecs or to move codecs between the Advertised Codec box and the Unadvertised Codecs box.

If only one codec is in the Advertised Codecs box, Cisco Unity Connection will send the media stream in the that audio format. The phone system will transcode if it does not use this audio format.

If two or more codecs are in the Advertised Codecs box, Connection will advertise its preference for the first codec in the list but will send the media stream in the audio format from the list that the phone system selects.

Step 5 Click Save.

Step 6 (PIMG, TIMG, and SIP integrations only) If you want to change the packet size that is used by the advertised codecs, under Advertised Codec Settings, click the applicable packet setting for each codec and click Save.

Step 7 On the Port Group menu, click Search Port Groups.

Step 8 Repeat Step 2 through Step 7 for all remaining port groups that belong to the phone system integration for which you want to change the audio format of the media stream.

Refer to the following URL detailing the above:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/2x/administration/guide/2xcucsag140.html

3) It will only be necessary to configure your H323 gateways if you do not specifically have a voice class codec configured and assigned to your VoIP dial-peers between Site A and Site B which has G729 as a preferred codec of choice. You will have to review your configuration to ascertain this.

Hope this information is of assistance. Please kindly rate helpful posts.

Regards

Allan.

Allan,

Thanks for the reply.

I am clear about points 1 and 2, this is kind of how I wanted to do. For point 3, I do not have any codecs configured on my H323 gateway, do I just configure the codec command on the dial peer. Can you give me some details on this?

Thanks.

Joel

An example of configuration for a voice class codec is as follows, and simply applied to the dial-peer.

Please ensure that you understand your h323 dial-plan, particularly which dial-peers you intend to change to allow G729

voice class codec 1

codec preference 1 g711ulaw

codec preference 2 g711alaw

codec preference 3 g729r8

codec preference 4 g729br8

!

dial-peer voice 100 voip

preference 1

destination-pattern 4...

translate-outgoing calling 1

voice-class codec 1

voice-class h323 1

session target ipv4:172.25.128.12

dtmf-relay h245-alphanumeric

no vad

!

dial-peer voice 101 voip

preference 2

destination-pattern 4...

translate-outgoing calling 1

voice-class codec 1

session target ipv4:172.25.128.11

dtmf-relay h245-alphanumeric

no vad

!

HTH..

Regards

Allan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: