Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring the Gateway

Srikanth,

Finally, I just got my simple voip experiment working. Now, I need to expand my simple voip to call from the two voip phones to my office analog phone(ext. 25819). In our "voip experiment" conversation, you mentioned that I need to use an IOS image with at least IP Plus. Please see my attachment for my router's IOS image and tell me if it supports voip data. If it does not, please let me know what version I should upgrade to for my 2621 router. Also, for simplicity, I have attached my "voip set up diagram."

Thanks,

Paul

18 REPLIES

Re: Configuring the Gateway

hi paul,

the 2621 is not using an ip plus image. for your platform with 32mb dram and 8mb flash u had the option of going to c2600-is-mz.12.1-6a. but im afraid that is no more available on cco. so better option would be to upgrade the memory. please use the following link as a guidance-

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/Dispatch?act=rlsSelect&task=search

make sure you select a minimum of "ip plus" as feature set and check for the "is" keyword in image name. let me know if this helps.

rgds,

subhrojyoti

Subhrojyoti or anyone out there,

I just found another cisco router in here and I already know that this one does not support IP Plus image. Now, which upgrade is available for me to download? This router is 1760 series!

Cisco IOS Software, C1700 Software (C1700-SV8Y7-M), Version 12.3(11)T3, RELEASE

SOFTWARE (fc4)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Wed 26-Jan-05 09:59 by pwade

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r)XM2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

yourname uptime is 10 minutes

System returned to ROM by power-on

System image file is "flash:c1700-sv8y7-mz.123-11.T3.bin"

Cisco 1760 (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x600) with 89419K/8885K bytes of memor

y.

Processor board ID FOC091212ZU (926149186), with hardware revision 0000

MPC860P processor: part number 5, mask 2

1 FastEthernet interface

32K bytes of NVRAM.

32768K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

Thanks,

Paul

hi paul,

yes the 1760 will support voice. the image supports IP/ADSL/VOX PLUS. so u can go ahead with your voice config.

rgds,

subhrojyoti

subhrojyoti,

My diagram is a little bit different! If you look at it, you can see that there exist a pbx system. In the previous attachment, I had my analog phone connected directly to the gateway. But my gateway will be connected to the pbx.

So, is the gateway configuration for pbx be the same as for direct connection to the gateway?

See my attachment!

Thanks,

Paul

hi paul,

im assuming that that fxo cards are installed on the router which are connected to the pbx. in that case if the pbx is expecting digits to route to the ext, it should work fine. in case the pbx only expects a seizure then it should be mapped to the proper ext.

following is the example(pbx expects digits)-

dial-peer voice X pots

destination-pattern 25819

forward-digits all

port y/z

pbx requires seizure only-

dial-peer voice X pots

port y/z

hope this helps.

rgds,

subhrojyoti

subhrojyoti,

Thanks for you helpful info. I connected an analog phone into a 1760 router which already have fxo cards installed. The whole experiment worked. However,I did not test the connection to the pbx yet. I will work on this tomorrow. I know that it will work just fine because the pbx system is expecting extentions.

On the other hand. I was thinking on monitor voip conversation. And I was just wondering what kind of sniffing software can I use so I can monitor conversations of that type and at the same time record them and view information in hex or binary etc. Could you please let me know what software is available out there. I know that there is Ethereal(open-source) software and I was trying to play around with it but I was not able to achieve the above scenario. I was trying to sniff stuff out using RTP but no luck. Please let me know!

Thanks,

Paul

hi paul,

i dont think you can achieve ALL what you have mentioned :-( but of late cisco has support for a 3rd party management software which does lot of voip management. i have perosonally not worked on it but here is the link-

http://www.netiq.com/solutions/voip/default.asp

Cisco used to have Voice health monitor which could do real time monitoring but that is now end of support and sale. for call recors please use "Cisco CDR" services in the ccm.

im not sure whats the exact purpose of seeing rtp packets in binar or hex format :-) not sure other than sniffer anything else is there or not.

rgds,

subhrojyoti

hi subhrojyoti!

I having a little bit of trouble with the pbx. Please look at my gateway configuration below and tell me what may be wrong in there that I can not make a simple phone call to my office ext.25819.

My 1760 router has two fxo cards installed. One fxo port 3/0 is connected to an analog phone (from this analog phone I can call both voip phones and vice-versa) and the other port 3/1 is connected directly to the pbx. I tried both senarions, seizure signal and extension, neither one of them worked! Please help!

ip address 10.72.16.52 255.255.252.0Building configuration...

speed auto

Current

!n

ip classless1967 bytes

ip http server

ip http authentication local

service timestamps debug

ip http timeout-policy idle 600 life 86400 requests 10000e timestamps log datetime msec

!

!

!

!o

!e

control-plane-encryption

!

!

voice-port 3/0

!

hos

!a

voice-port 3/1

!

!o

!s

!r

port 3/1

forward-digits all

!

dial-peer voice 12 voip

destination-pattern 499.

session target ipv4:10.72.16.22

!

dial-peer voice 13 voip

!

banner login ^C

Thanks,

Paul

hi paul,

:-) i guessed that this might not work when you mentioned FXO before. but did not mentioned thinking that might be typo for FXS. we cannot connect ANALOG phones to FXO ports. we can do that with FXS ports. On FXO ports we can connect PBX / PSTN / KEY SYSTEM. not a problem we will get this working. I am sending you a confi assuming that the PBX expects digits-

voice-port 3/0

connection plar xxxx

voice-port 3/1

connection plar yyyy

dial-peer voice 12 voip

destination-pattern xxxx

!

dial-peer voice 13 voip

destination-pattern yyyy

dial-peer voice 1 pots

forward-digits all

port 3/0

!

dial-peer voice 2 pots

destination-pattern zzzz

forward-digits all

port 3/1

this should work fine. let me know.

rgds,

subhrojyoti

hi subhrojyoti,

I meant to say that I have two FXS ports on one card instead fxo.

Now, do I configure the router the same way as you mentioned in the second last posting? Please let me know!

Thanks,

Paul

hi subhrojyoti,

I have attached revised diagram of my experiment.

Please take a look at it. I tried the above commands and it did not seemed to work!

Thanks,

Paul

hi paul,

first of all you need to CONFIRM me that you are using FXS or FXO. becoz you mentioned FXO b4 and now in the diagram I see FXS. please send me the following information an im sure we will get this work

1. sh diag

2. sh run(revised one)

3. deb voice ccapi inout & deb vpm signal (try to make a test call after you enable the debug on the telnet session and make sure you did terminal monitor before makeing the call.

i will wait for the information.

rgds,

subhrojyoti

Hi subhrojyoti,

I have performed all of the steps above which are attached above in router's configuration file.

Please take a look at it and let me know about it.

Thanks Alot!

Paul

hi paul,

everything looks fine except 2 things i would like to mention-

1. remove the dial-peer 10 and 11 just to make sure we dont hit the wrong dial-peers(seen bugs on them too)

2. for the fxs port you can prolly take of the command "forward-digits all" and for fxo you can keep it since the pbx might require digits. if the ports are mapped then you have to take the command off again just as in fxs port.

after taking a look at the debugs looks like the call had some internal ringback. looks like you made a call from call manager to pbx or analog phone.

let me know what happens. can you make calls from analog phone/pbx to ip telephone?

rgds,

subhrojyoti

Hi subhrojyoti,

This is weird! And this is what happens(based on the last router's configuration).

(This senario happens only when analog phone is connected to FXS port 0, and PBX line not connected to FXS port 1)....

1. When Analog phone is connected to FXS port 0 and as soon as I pick up the analog handset the ip phone(4990) rings. This is weird because it calls the ip phone 4990 automatically!

2. From analog phone (connected to FXS port 0), I can not call b/c it dials ip phone ext 4990 automatically.

3. When I dial number 25819 from ip phone 4990, the analog phone which is connected to FXS port 0 rings.

4. When I dial number 25819 from ip phone 4992, the analog phone which is connected to FXS port 0 rings.

(This senarion happens when I connect PBX cable to FXS port 1)

As soon as I connect the PBX cable to FXS port 1, the ip phone ext 4992 rings automatically.

Also, I noticed that FXS port 1 LED light is on constantly.

Hopefully this helps to clarify the problem. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Paul

hi paul,

:-) that is quite expected.

1. as per the config the conn plar is on the voice ports whihc automatically dial the ip phone. take of the command from the following port - 3/0

"connection plar 4990" > try dialing any ip phone after removing the command.

2. hope the second problem should have been solved now.

3. you have configured both the fxs port same destination pattern hence whenever you dial 25819 its going to dial the analog phone always bcoz it hits the first dial-peer 1. make sure you set the destination pattern as 25819(analog phone ).

4. set the dial peer 2 to some other pbx number as your destination pattern yyyy.

im sure this should solve your probelm.

hi paul,

:-) that is quite expected.

1. as per the config the conn plar is on the voice ports whihc automatically dial the ip phone. take of the command from the following port - 3/0

"connection plar 4990" > try dialing any ip phone after removing the command.

2. hope the second problem should have been solved now.

3. you have configured both the fxs port same destination pattern hence whenever you dial 25819 its going to dial the analog phone always bcoz it hits the first dial-peer 1. make sure you set the destination pattern as 25819(analog phone ).

4. set the dial peer 2 to some other pbx number as your destination pattern yyyy.

im sure this should solve your probelm.

rgds,

subhrojyoti

Hi subhrojyoti,

Unfortunately, my experiment is not working properly yet.

This is the senario I get now...

1. I can call from an analog phone to any of my ip phones.

2. I can call an analog phone which is connected to port 3/0 (ext.26528) from my ip phones.

3. However, I can not call my office(ext.25819) from an analog phone (ext. 26528) nor from any of my ip phones. I GET BUSY SIGNAL.

I thought this may be helpful... When calls are placed within the school area all we have to do is to dial 2 and four numbers for ext. (i.e. 2####).

QUESTION: DO I HAVE TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF PBX SYSTEM THE SCHOOL IS USING? I AM THINKING MAY BE THE PBX SYSTEM IS NOT RECOGNIZING MY SIGNAL from the router.

Please let me know!

Here Below is my recent router's config. Please take a look...

interface FastEthernet0/0

--More--description $ETH-LAN$$ETH-SW-LAUNCH$$INTF-INFO-10/100 Ethernet$

--More--ip address 10.72.16.52 255.255.252.0

--More--speed auto

--More--!

--More--ip classless

--More--ip http server

--More--ip http authentication local

--More--ip http timeout-policy idle 600 life 86400 requests 10000

--More--!

--More--!

--More--!