cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connect a ATA186 to a Wireless Ethernet Bridge (Linksys WET11)?

mattpowers
Level 1
Level 1

I subscribe to the Vonage Digital Voice service (www.vonage.com) using a Cisco ATA186. The ATA works fine when connected directly (via ethernet cable) to my wireless Home Broadband Router. I recently bought a Linksys WET11 device (a Wireless Etherent Bridge) that has an ethernet port (user guide: ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/wet11_ug.pdf). I can't get my ATA to work when connected to the WET11. Any thoughts on why this is? The ATA has a cross-over and straight-through switch. Should I use a regular or cross-over cable to connect the two? Does the ATA only work when connected to a router? Any help you have for this networking novice would be appreciated.

I was able to get a PC connected to this WET11 to work, but not the ATA.

P.S. the reason to do this is to be able to place my ATA farther away from my router so that it can connected to an existing 2-line phone (one line to be used for telco service, one to be used for Vonage) in another part of the house.

4 Replies 4

rchapman
Level 1
Level 1

It probably does not work because the linksys is doing NAT. I have only played with that device a couple times doing favors for the neighbors. You might be able to do static translations but not sure.

*** www.iptnetworkers.com ***

I am 100% support what just been said.

Both calls signaling (SIP) and the RTP string has to reach the internal non routable IP address, which is in your case is the Nat IP address.

In order to maintain the NAT environment and still able to enjoy VoIP service I will recommend you to look at ITSP - deltathree, which solved the NAT issue and ATA.

http://www.iconnecthere.com

Regards,

Yaron

The Vonage VoIP service works just fine behind my SMC Barricade router, which does NAT. Would the Wireless Bridge do a second NAT function or not allow the ATA to pass it's DHCP request to the router?

My desired setup is:

cable modem -> SMC Wireless Barricade Router ->Linksys Wireless Bridge->Cisco ATA

I'll see if Vonage can help also since they provide the ATA as part of their service (and have it pre-confgured).

Bump on this one. Vonage was not able to help but are looking into it. See my other two entries for the problem I am trying to solve. Basically the ATA works fine when connected directly to a router, however when I connect it to a wireless bridge (which itself is communicating back to the router) it does not work. Can't seem to get an IP Address. A laptop connected to this same bridge can get an IP address.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: