Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Connect lab telephony to outside world

Here is what I have in my lab :

- One Cisco Call Manager

- Two IP Phones

- One ATA 186

- One DLink switch

All devices are connected thru that switch. Now, I want to connect this lab to outside world for making and receiving the real call.

What are the steps I need to have ?

Thanks !

7 REPLIES

Re: Connect lab telephony to outside world

You would need to add hardware that can act as a pstn gateway first -- like a router with an FXO VIC... For instance, you could use a 1760 Router and an VIC-2FXO module. You could also use a 2600 router (or vg200) with a NM-1V module and a VIC-2FXO module to give you the same results.

The configuration steps would vary a bit depending on what kind of device you use as your gateway -- all the ones I mentioned above can be configured for MGCP on the router itself & then you would add the device in call manager as a gateway, an MGCP gateway. Once you have the gateway defined, you would then add a route pattern in call manager -- like 9.@ to send all outbound calls to the gateway...

John

This is only for the lab testing to test PSTN call.

$$$ is an issue here.

Can you recommend a very cheap route and FXO module ?

Maybe <= 5 ports.

Can I use DLink route instead ?

Can I used Cisco VIC-2FXO ?

What is different between fxo and fxs ?

How do I know which one I need ?

FXO Ports connect to the PSTN where FXS ports connect to end devices (analog phones and fax machines)

Most likely you will need an FXO port to connect to the PSTN. If you have a PBX that you can test with you might be able to use an FXS port if the PBX has spare analog ports.

I don't have PBX. Here is what I have :

- One Cisco Call Manager

- Two IP Phones

- One ATA 186

- One DLink switch

I would like to make a call from outside(PSTN) that can reach a analog phone which is attached to ATA device, and a 7960 IP Phone.

Does this mean I need to have a cisco router that have both fxo and fxs or I just need fxo ???

I am confused. I am very appreciated your help. Thanks a lot !

Cisco Employee

You will need a cisco router such as 1751v with vic-2fxo-m1 (US with caller id)

If you have a 2600 router, then you will need nm-1v with vic-2fxo-m1. Here is a link for equipment that supports fxo http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_tech_note09186a00800b53c7.shtml#platsup

You will also need the ios-software to run voice.

H. M.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content