Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Connect remote pbx systems to central locations voice gateway

I currently have an ever increasing number of branch locations each with a pbx/keyset system and a channelized voice t1 to the pstn. Each location also has a ptp data t1 back to a 7206 at the main location for internet access. I have put together a scenario using voip and these data t1's to try to save some money and want to see if anyone here can verify the validity of these ideas or if you have any suggestions.

Place a cisco 3660 at the main location. Insert a NM-HDV-1T1-24 card into the 3660 and a fast ethernet nm to connect the 3660 to the 7206 which is terminating the data ptp t1s coming from the remote branches. Then connect the AT&T voice t1 for the main location into the vic on the 3660.

Then place a 1751 at each location. Install a WIC-1DSU-T1 and a VWIC-1MFT-T1 card into each router. Also install a PVDM-256k-16 module into the cisco 1751, which should provide enough dsp's to handle 24 calls. Then connect the data T1 into the wic and the pbx into the vwic. I can then cancel that locations voice t1, hence the money savings.

I am assuming the pbx won't know the difference between the cisco 1751 and the disconnected at&t voice t1 so I won't need to make any changes to it.

I will setup dial plans on the 1751's and the 3660 to route calls.

I will use QoS on all the routers to ensure voice traffic is given priority over data.

I know i will probably end up needing to install additional voice t1s into the 3660 to handle all the calls from the remotes.

Please let me know if this setup will work or if you have any suggestions.

2 REPLIES
Blue

Re: Connect remote pbx systems to central locations voice gatewa

It all looks pretty good. Only statement that looks incorrect is: "I am assuming the pbx won't know the difference between the cisco 1751 and the disconnected at&t voice t1 so I won't need to make any changes to it." Many times you have to play with the switch type, signalling etc. to get things to play nice. Only suggestion I have is that maybe throw a POTS line or two at each remote site in case the WAN goes down. Other than that it looks pretty good.

Re: Connect remote pbx systems to central locations voice gatewa

Playing with the switch-type and signalling settings aren't a problem as I can hopefully make all the changes on the cisco to bring it compatible with the key systems and I won't even have to touch the settings on the key systems (some of which i don't have access to). The remote sites already have a couple of pots lines for backup in case the current ct1 goes down.

Views
Helpful
Replies