Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

connected vs temp fail

I'm not sure if this is a problem or not, in any event I can't explain it. On some calls to the PSTN (inbound and outbound) my users are seeing Temp Fail on the status bar (the line above Hold EndCall Transf... more). It is happening on 7960s and 7940s, with receiver or while on speakerphone. There does not appear to be any degradation in the call, just the message.

CM 3.2

router to PSTN is VG200 12.2.2XN, dual PRI interface

phone load P303020100

Can anyone tell me what it means and if it is indicative of a larger problem?

- Jim

7 REPLIES
Community Member

Re: connected vs temp fail

Jim: here is something to look at on vg200 if you do

"show h323 gateway" at the bottom under "Disc Cause Codes" you may see "41 Temporary Failure"

researching this doc. ISDN Switch Types, Codes, and Values at url-

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios113ed/dbook/disdn.htm

this may point you in the right direction for further research. marc

Community Member

I looked at that document and am sure that it relates. I am using MGCP on the router rather than h323. Also, the call is not dropped the conversation continues there is just that mildly disturbing "Temp Fail" message on the phone.

- Jim

Community Member

Another observation here...

When the "Temp Fail" occurs, all of the soft keys disappear with the exception of "EndCall". This makes it impossible to act on the call (conference, transfer, hold, etc.).

Is the status line referring to communication between the phone and the Call Manager or between the phone and the gateway?

- Jim

Community Member

Hey Jim,

Did you find a resolution to this issue.

If anyone has resolved this issue plz update on the forum because i am facing the same issue.

Regards.

Super Bronze

Hi

I believe that TEMP FAIL on the handset display indicates  a problem with the far end rather than the CCM>

Typically you lose the feature softkeys because the far end is no longer capable of going on hold etc.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Well the reply through email didnt seem to take but in any event I believe the Temp Fail message will show when your gateway is controlled via MGCP. The gateway can unregister from call manager but the calls will stay active but you will lose the ability use the softkeys since call control is now out of the picture. When you see this message telnet into the gateway and issue the show mgcp command and see if its unregistered.

Yes, Temp Fail indicates that the gateway has likely lost registration with CCM (not always...but typically) and the reason that you dont see any softkeys other than End Call is because supplementary services such as hold, etc cannot be performed during this operational state.  Your call remains online, but that's about it.

Hailey

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content