cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Consequences of changing numbering plan type

jneiberger
Level 2
Level 2

I'm trying to get QSIG working between CCM 4.1(3) and some Nortel PBXs. In order to solve a couple of different problems, I had to change some settings that Cisco recommends leaving at the default.

On the gateway configuration page, I changed "Calling party IE number type unknown" to Subscriber (default is CallManager) and I changed "Calling Numbering Plan" to Private (default is CallManager).

We have a centralized Meridian Mail system and these settings solved some problems for us. However, I'll be honest and say that I don't know exactly what these settings do and I haven't been able to determine the details from reading the documentation. Are there any possible future consequences I should be aware of?

Thanks!

John

3 Replies 3

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

the callingPartyIEnumberType is used to set CCM to recognize non-national type numbering plans.

ie: european numbering plan or PBXs that expect a called DN to be encoded to a non-national numbering plan type.

your options for this parameter are as follows:

callManager - ccm sets the DN type

international - used when dialing outside the dialing plan for your country

national - used when dialing within the dialing plan of your country

subscriber - connected system such as PBX sets the DN type

unknown - use when the dial plan is unknown (anything other than the above)

your adjustment of this paramter is applicable and seems correct from what you've stated.

callingNumberingPlan sets the called DN numbering plan. again, same scenario, CCM does not recognize non-national numbering plans and sometimes may need to be adjusted as such to a different numbering plan.

your options for this parameter are as follows:

callManager - ccm sets the numberingPlan in the DN

isdn - use when dialing outside the dialing plan for your country

national - use when dialing within the dialing plan of your country

private - use when you are dialing within a private network

unknown - use when the dial plan is unknown (anything other than the above)

I have already discovered a downside to changing this setting. If left at the default setting, CallManager dynamically adjusts these parameters. The problem we have is that it doesn't adjust them correctly for our environment. However, hard-setting these parameters is causing a different problem: if an external caller calls a DID number at our test site and the call rolls to voice mail, it now goes to their internal greeting instead of their external greeting because Meridian Mail is looking at these parameters to determine the source of the call.

Ugh. This interoperability stuff sucks. :)

After doing a bit more research, I have decided that we need additional parameters on the route pattern configuration page. We need to be able to affect this behavior on a per-pattern basis. We may send four-digit interoffice calls over a trunk that need to be encoded as Private/Subscriber, but we may also send 10-digit calls over the same link that need to be configured as Unknown/Unknown or National/ISDN.

Ideally, I'd like to leave the dynamic selection of these parameters turned on while being able to affect them via the route pattern configuration page. All I really want is to reliable set the calling number plan to Private and the type of number to Subscriber, but only for calls from internal extensions.

I don't know if this is even going to be possible in CallManager unless Cisco adds this new feature to the route pattern page.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: